• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Undeletable APN Presumably Hinders Mobile Data From Working

Hello everyone!

I am from Germany but now live in Japan for a few months and I bought myself a SIM card so I would have mobile data on the go.
Thing is, SIM is working but the mobile data function is not. I do not exactly know why, neither does the support of "Mobal", the provider (carrier being SoftBank).
About my phone: It is an HTC 10 that I bought on Amazon, no SIM lock. I bought a German SIM card without contract and it is the first time I have changed the SIM since that time.

The only thing that is apparent, is that there is one APN that is default as soon as I put in my new Japanese SIM, that is neither editable nor deletable with a green padlock on the left side.
This APN shouldn't be there, did the hotline tell me. My phone is not SIM-locked and I do not know which settings could probably cause such an issue?
That undeletable APN is not there when I put in my German SIM and with that one Roaming also works (it's just ridiculously expensive). So I reckon that it must be that mysterious APN.

Below you can see the one that is undeletable and the second one that I created myself according to the manual that came with the SIM.
I can create and delete APNs, I can edit them and everything except for that single one.
I can even choose the newly created APN and it does not jump back to default. Yet, the mobile data doesn't work.

I have also tried accessing the APNs via a QuickShortCut app, but whenever I do that, it tells me "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user".

There are other solutions that require the phone to be rooted but I'd rather not do that given that I do not even know if deleting this APN solves my problem (even though I do suspect that "Application" is the culprit).
Also I considered a factory reset. But I'd also only do that if there is no other way around.

I would thus try to understand, whether the data plan does not work due to the APN or not and what's behind this issue; so decided to ask for help on this forum.
Hopefully there is someone who has heard about such a problem.

Thank you a ton in advance!

Greetings from Japan,
Max

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

GetAttachmentThumbnail

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones