• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Uninstalling vs Disabling?

A

Android Question

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the Samsung Galaxy S4. Had a much simpler android before (Samsung gift from sis)
Now, why can't I simply disable these useless Samsung apps you're referring to vs trying to Uninstalling or get rid of them by emailing them to yourself?
Appreciate any help or advice about this phone; I am not quite up to date on technology, being old school/older.
Thanks!

Please excuse my ignorance of the most recent technology as I am old school and used to my simply Droid Kyocera Milano. My sister gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 which some days I love & other days could smash against a wall!
Been reading your posts about all the useless Samsung apps & I do agree. Why can't I simply disable them instead of going through all the trouble trying to figure out how to uninstall them? Again, please excusey lack of knowledge on current technology, but am old school and previous to this phone, I had a simple android slider Kyocera Milano. What happens if I Uninstaller or removed or deleted an app I shouldn't have or is that even possible and how to fix it? Any advice or tips you can offer to an old rookie about the Samsung Galaxy S4 would be sincerely appreciated and save me a lot of time (more) researching nearly everything!
Thanks for the HELP!

Upvote 0
Hi

Some apps were pre-installed on the phone when it was new. These are "system" apps. Some of them are fairly useless and some are needed by the phone to work properly. For these "system" apps you can generally un-install any updates that have been made to them and then "disable" them. (You cannot disable the essential ones). This stops the apps from running and minimises the amount of space they take up in your phones storage. Generally the original version of a system app is in a system storage area which you cannot access and any updates are in storage which you would normally use and have access to. Hence it saves space to uninstall the updates.

Apps which have been added to the phone after it was new by the user can be completely uninstalled if you don't want them any more. This is a option in Playstore (or other app store) and in the phones settings:

menu
settings
manage apps

find the app and select uninstall

I don't understand your comment about "emailing them to yourself"!?

Upvote 0
Please excuse my ignorance of the most recent technology as I am old school and used to my simply Droid Kyocera Milano. My sister gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 which some days I love & other days could smash against a wall!
Been reading your posts about all the useless Samsung apps & I do agree. Why can't I simply disable them instead of going through all the trouble trying to figure out how to uninstall them? Again, please excusey lack of knowledge on current technology, but am old school and previous to this phone, I had a simple android slider Kyocera Milano. What happens if I Uninstaller or removed or deleted an app I shouldn't have or is that even possible and how to fix it? Any advice or tips you can offer to an old rookie about the Samsung Galaxy S4 would be sincerely appreciated and save me a lot of time (more) researching nearly everything!
Thanks for the HELP!

"simply Droid", well that must have had some useless pre-installed stuff on it, e.g. NFL Mobile. See about disabling the stuff, or alternatively investigate about paying full retail price for a unsubsidized, unlocked phone direct from the manufacturer. rather than Verizon Wireless or whatever.

Upvote 0
There are pre-installed programs or "bloatware" which you actually can't uninstall these apps without rooting. The best solution is to disable them.

Head to Settings > More, then go to the Application Manager. Here, swipe left to the "All" pane and find a bloaty app you want to hide, like AT&T Navigator or S Memo. You'll see a "Disable" button.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones