• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocked and rooted, installed ROM where is the keyboard?

Took the leap and unlocked and rooted. I downloaded two roms, the Rezrom and Niles.
I could not find the keyboard in either! Trying to setup my email accounts and ther is no keyboard. Under settings all I see as input methods are google speach or voice input. Am I missing something? (obviously)

I believe I tried that, the only thing that was listed was the Google Voice typying Input. I went to the web and tried to pull up the keyboard via searching there and nothing.
I ended up going to the market and downloading Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard.
I switched back to RezRom this morning. The other rom, would not mount my SD card.

Upvote 0
After a day of mucking around I did a restore. I had Nils Business ICS on it and it could not see my sd card. I wiped and went back to RezRom (last night) This morning I noticed I did not have the phone dialer. Played around a little bit at work, didn't have enough time to really read and research. (work got in the way)
After work, I didn't really find the solution so I decided to go back and try Nils again. After install, the phone dialer was there and I thought I would work with this rom for a while. While setting up my exchange account, I received a call from work, tried to answer it and the phone rebooted. Thought it was an anomaly and i continued to set up the phone.
I decided to try an call my voice mail, the phone rebooted again. After reboot, I opened the dialer again and the phone rebooted.
Since I need the phone for work, I decided to do a restore and I just finished getting the phone setup so I can use it tomorrow.
Being a noob, I may have caused my own issues. Just not sure where I went wrong.
I may leave it alone for a while and do more research.
But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thanks for all the insight on this sight.

Upvote 0
Being a noob, I may have caused my own issues. Just not sure where I went wrong.
I may leave it alone for a while and do more research.
But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thanks for all the insight on this sight.
Without knowing what you were trying to accomplish and exactly what steps that led you to the "mess," it's going to be next to impossible to let you know where you went wrong.

Upvote 0
one thing that you DO need to realize is that the most recent leak has clued devs in that the "fixes" they had to do to previous leaks to make them stable were actually making them compatible with older,GB firmware.

as such,scrossler,nilsp,and prolly others,are now simply requiring that you run the leak RUU to get the new firmware.

in other words,if you are on hboot 2.10 you will not be able to run nils buisness sense v3.0,rezrom 3.0,or cleanrom v4.1,and prolly others

just an FYI. if youre on hboot 2.10 and wish to stay there awhile,install an older version of one of those roms.

nils busines sense 2.3 is a really nice rom,just based on a slightly older leak.

Upvote 0
After I made the post, I decided to give it one more go around and reinstalled RezRom. This time after install, It appears that everything is working, I have a keyboard, dialer, things I need to use it as a phone. I will probably forgo changing anything until closer to the weekend, when I would have more time to play with it.

My take aways are as follows. Terminology, understand it better. Learn the differences between a Ruu and a rom, Hboot etc. Procedures. Know what order to do things in.
So to recap,
I followed Scott's guide step by step in post one. I went with the temp recovery.
Ran a nand backup.
Downloaded two Roms. RezRom and Nils
Tried both of them a few times, had some issue with each.
Again, thanks for the guidance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones