• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlocking phone

chileno

Lurker
My two years with Sprint will be up next month. I would like to know what's the deal with unlocking the phone, besides that of being able to work with other providers.

Will have the same bloatware that come with new phones?

Marshmallow 6.0 is coming soon, will I be able to pick up that upgrade if I have unlocked the phone?

What will happen to all the data I have in the phone?

Any help with this is really appreciated.

Thanks

Simple answers to your questions :
Probably, yes, nothing

Unlocking doesn't require any formatting of the phone, and the bloat gets added to a phone when it is assigned to a carrier, so you'll get whatever that carrier adds on their phones. As for Marshmallow, this phone might not get it, but you don't even need to have service to get system upgrades.

Are you buying an LG G3 or did you already have a G3 and getting a different phone?

The G3 got the marshmallow update.

I have a G3 (LS990). No Marshmallow. The fact that other variants have already gotten it is exactly my point. If you don't already have it, you might not get it. It's at the carriers discretion.

No, I'm not planning on getting another phone. O.o

I have a G3 (LS990). No Marshmallow. The fact that other variants have already gotten it is exactly my point. If you don't already have it, you might not get it. It's at the carriers discretion.

No, I'm not planning on getting another phone. o_O

Actually I was replying to the OP. :)

Actually I was replying to the OP. :)

D'oh, lol. I didn't see who the post was from, just saw it and assumed it was the OP replying to me. My bad. :p (I thought it was an odd response, lol)

I believe he has one and wants to make sure unlocking it won't make him lose his data or prevent him from getting any future updates. As for why he wants to unlock it, I don't know.

Thank you bg4m3r and tube517:

Yes, I have one. I am asking this because i was under the impression that If I unlock the phone I have the option to wipe all the bloatware and by getting a new sim it will just be the bare minimum in order for the phone to function. In other words, the apps that cannot be deleted from the phone will be the bare essentials.

I guess I am wrong....

I have a G3 and I think I want to keep it. I'll see what happens to the LG V20...when it gets here (USA)

Thank you again guys.

You can do that now. You just need to root it...although that's not exactly simple either at this point and you would have to backup stuff you don't want to lose.

I've rooted mine and I'm running Fulmics Marshmallow ROM, and enjoying it. Nothing on here that I don't want. :)

Back
Top Bottom