• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unofficial Battery Thread

DeadDude

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2014
There's been some questions about battery life and usage.

This is the place to discuss. :)

I have previously mentioned I can get 2-3 days per charge with stock battery. If this sounds impossible to you, read on.

My settings:
Screen Brightness - Auto (unless I need the screen on all the time, then I drop it to minimum)
Constantly Running Apps - kept to a minimum (this phone is more a radio and hotspot for me now- workhorse)

In addition, I have set up toggles for all radios.

In other words, I toggle data on only when I need it. Same for Wifi as well as cell radio (airplane mode toggles off cell radio, you can then toggle wifi on as needed).

Streaming radio seems to use less juice than playing from my SD card.

And when I've forgotten my charger cable, I underclock to 700mhz or 4?80mhz.

I use the hotspot about 4hrs a day. I listen to Slacker about 6hrs a day. Talk on phone maybe 30minutes/day & txt 5-10/day.
This usage pattern, with underclocking, dies sometime on day 3.

If I don't use the hotspot, easily 3 full days.

Data/Wifi connection strength GREATLY affects battery life in my experience. Turn off anything you never use.

I keep GPS disabled, the Google service is good enough for me and not an extra drain.
Vibration kills battery. I turn it off device-wide when pushing my battery life.

And above all else, DON'T EVEN INSTALL GAMES. Bad games stay running all the time.
Don't use an auto-app killer. The app that is killed just reloads later.

If you ever pick up your 'idle' phone and it is warm, or hot, SOMETHING is running in the background. Check Settings-Manage apps- Running apps- uninstall.

Honestly, if battery life is important to you, you have to be more careful when picking out apps. A poorly written app of any kind can suck juice in the background.

Reboot or power off once a week.

NEW EDIT
And use Power Manager app that came with phone. I keep mine in 'endurance'.

In contrast, when I use my phone as a seedbox, I'm lucky getting 8hrs. But it works decently.

Reactions: derpy01
When looking for replacement battery;
1750mA
Any lower means less juice than stock.

The back of mine:

HB4W1H 3.7V 1750mAh (6.5Wh)
GB/T 18287-2000

Barcode
MAID817X19133180

This barcode also listed build date. Mine is 2013-08-17

Make sure the replacement matches and has warranty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones