• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unroot HTC Desire Bravo to unbranded ROM using a Mac - WWE Stock ROM

Hi,

I've spent an hour reading unrooting threads and all are not relevant or too complicated and not relevant. I need laymens terms for specifically a MAC not a PC, I have no PC in the house.

I used Unrevoked 3 to root my Desire 2 years ago and can't remember how I did it or where my back up is.:(

Reason for needing to unroot = Charging port wobbley and doesn't charge properly. I have phone insurance but t+c's virtually mean nothing is covered (Carphone Warehouse Phone cover :() This needs to be legit + Can someone confirm if I can get 2.3 GB over the air update from HTC now anyway if I unroot?

Here is a link to a screenshot of system info:
2012+-+1
and https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X51aqj-x1DY/UBxgNhof42I/AAAAAAAAADk/iMJiLaEyPqs/s601/2012+-+1

So if you can see these: Bootloader is: 0.93.0001 Brand: HTC_WWE Build GWK74 EN_GB Kernal Ver: 2.6.37.6 Cyanogenmod-geb50077 Current Rom Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 Baseband Ver 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27

I found via this link the HTC RUU I think: HTCdev and downloaded :
Desire HTC WWE MR 2.6.35 v2.3 88.7 MB
and Desire v2.3 161.0 MB RUU Upgrade

However don't know if these need Windows to use?

I don't have a gold card, nor do I understand at all how to make one of if I need one. I didn't use one to root my phone. I have unrevoked 3 if I can use that.

Any help and step by steps will be great. Any further info needed, ask me and I'll get for you. Thx guys!

If you got the phone from CPW it will be unbranded, so you are probably ok without a goldcard.

Without Windows you need to use the PB99IMG method. Unfortunately extracting one of these from an RUU requires Windows! Fortunately there are a couple available at shipped-ROMs.com, e.g. http://www.shipped-roms.com/downloa...9.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.zip. So download that file, then find it in the index at shipped-ROMs (link above) and look at the md5 code next to the download link. Use the "md5" command from a terminal on your mac to get the code for your copy and check they match. If not, download again. This is important because an RUU replaces all firmware on the phone, including critical components (hboot, radio), so you don't want to risk using a bad copy.

Back up any data you need, as the next bit will wipe the phone.

Copy the downloaded file to the root of the phone's sd card, and rename it PB99IMG.zip (exactly that, case sensitive). Reboot the phone while pressing the volume down key. This takes you to the bootloader. After about 7 seconds it will tell you that it has found the update and ask you whether to apply it. Confirm, then leave it to do its stuff.

This is just a different way of running an RUU. Make sure battery is well charged first.

At the end of this you will have unbranded stock Froyo. If you had a PC we could have applied the gingerbread upgrade instead, but I don't have a PB99 of that.

HTC never released Gingerbread as an over the air upgrade for the Desire. That ruu I linked is the most recent official Froyo. The 88MB file you dowmloaded from HTCdev is too small to be a full RUU. The second one sounds like the 2.3 upgrade RUU, but you need Windows to do anything with that.

Good luck.

Reactions: Fishwalker
Upvote 0
Thanks Hadron for taking the time to try and help me!

I haven't had time to try this yet and it still looks completely baffling to me to be fair. I only rooted in the first place to get more memory for app's.

Anyway, I do know someone with a Windows computer so I might try for the Gingerbread version if I can get hold of that. Otherwise I suppose if its just to get my power port fixed it doesn't natter if I have Froyo for a while.

If I do get the GB version, will that be acceptable for warranty purposes, if HTC never released it as an over the air update? Also you say the second file I found looks like an update. Does that mean I need to do the unroot to Froyo method first and then apply that file?

Also! (sorry for questions) ... What where the key differences between Froyo and Gingerbread again? Just so I know what I'm losing downgrading?

Upvote 0
The Gingerbread update is fine for warranty purposes. You can also get it from shipped-ROMs.com. In fact the 2.3 update has been unavailable from HTCdev for a while, so while the filename implies that's what your second download is I'm a little surprised if so.

The gingerbread update is an RUU, so you don't have to be running anything specific first (but do need Windows).

The differences between 2.2 and 2.3 are mainly behind the scenes, stuff like power and memory management. 2.3 is better at these, and move to sd moves more of an app. But the difference between stock htc and CM is much bigger than the difference between stock Froyo and stock gingerbread.

Reactions: Fishwalker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones