• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated Google keyboard

JAy3001

Android Expert
Finally, the missing link has been added for big screen Nexus users. A compatible keyboard for one handed use!

Loving the ability to shift the keyboard, finally making 1 handed typing a reality. :p

One thing tho, how do you now enter the keyboard options from the keyboard itself? Option seems to have disappeared!?

Here is an xda video on the top 5 hidden features of the updated google keyboard.

From the comments, here are the highlights:
1. One handed mode: Drag from the bottom right key. Also use this to get to emojis.
2. Access numbers when in a password input field. Press the icon on the right of the spacebar for a keypad.
3. Most commonly used emojis bar under the special characters.
4. Press and hold the special characters key to quickly select a symbol. This also works when dragging from the shift key.
5. Press and drag an auto-correct suggestion into the bin icon to not see it again.

My personal opinion: The one-handed mode seems pretty useless though, can't reliably thumb swipe. The problem is hitting the keys reasonably accurately with your thumb and the smaller keyboard makes it even more difficult. As far as the rest of the keyboard, some good features. But I've been a swype user for 4+ years and none of the other keyboards quite give me what I expect (maybe it's just too tough to teach an old dog like me new tricks).

I've been using it for a few days now and really like it. Swiping is not an issue for me as I've never used the function. :rolleyes:

Love the fast switch from full to side keyboard and easy number access is a peach. :)

It definitely comes in handy! I prefer the full keyboard but why I'm at work the one handed mode is fantastic!

Here is an xda video on the top 5 hidden features of the updated google keyboard.

From the comments, here are the highlights:
1. One handed mode: Drag from the bottom right key. Also use this to get to emojis.
2. Access numbers when in a password input field. Press the icon on the right of the spacebar for a keypad.
3. Most commonly used emojis bar under the special characters.
4. Press and hold the special characters key to quickly select a symbol. This also works when dragging from the shift key.
5. Press and drag an auto-correct suggestion into the bin icon to not see it again.

My personal opinion: The one-handed mode seems pretty useless though, can't reliably thumb swipe. The problem is hitting the keys reasonably accurately with your thumb and the smaller keyboard makes it even more difficult. As far as the rest of the keyboard, some good features. But I've been a swype user for 4+ years and none of the other keyboards quite give me what I expect (maybe it's just too tough to teach an old dog like me new tricks).

Nice summary, I was miffed a while ago when it changed on my unexpectedly. While I'm not a swype type of user, when I went in to turn off swipe I saw other features that I'm not sure if were there before, but sliding your finger across the space bar will move the cursor which I've found to be a pain at times trying to move the cursor to a specific location.

So this lovely new keyboard I'm now having issues with. When editing text i get some freaky issues that just get worse the more I try and correct it.

Check out this video:

It looks like the auto correct and auto placement of the cursor goes nuts, bloody confusing and frustrating when tired or not paying attention.

Anyone else able to replicate these issues?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom