• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Verizon Tablet

zorb847

Lurker
Not sure how to update Verizon tablet.
I have a Verizon Ellipsis 7 tablet model QMV7A that I bought over 5 years ago and I need to update it.
The Verizon account is no longer active but I still use it over wifi.
When I try to update it, I get the message unable to connect to network.
Everything I read on the internet tells me that this must be done over the Verizon network.
There must me a way to do it over wifi but I can't find out how to do this or where to download the operating system from.
I am able to connect my laptop to it to transfer files so it seems to me the best way would be to download to my laptop and transfer that way but I can't find a link and am not sure how to go about doing an update.
Last update was done in 2015.
The only reason that I want to update is that the app that I use 90% of the time no longer works and giving me error message saying that it requires android operating system 5.0 or higher.
From about tablet screen
Current android version is 4.4.2
HW version D3A
Model number QMV7A
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think Verizon updated this to 5
I am not very knowledgeable about how tablets and phones work.
Is the OS provided by Verizon?
Should I be asking theses questions on a Verizon forum instead of an Android forum?
Is it possible to install OS from elsewhere that doesn't depend on Verizon?
It seems a shame to throw out a good working device that I use everyday just because it can't be updated.
Thank you for you replies

The Ellipsis is from a Chinese OEM(Quanta, who also makes the Macbooks for Apple) that's specially custom made for Verizon, and any updates and support would only come from Verizon. And as it's been five years, I suspect they've long since discontinued supporting it, and there's no more updates other than what it's already got.

Last edited:
yeah if you go to settings>about phone>check for updates and there is no updates then you are good to go. unfortunately, for you.
I am not very knowledgeable about how tablets and phones work.
Is the OS provided by Verizon?
Should I be asking theses questions on a Verizon forum instead of an Android forum?
Is it possible to install OS from elsewhere that doesn't depend on Verizon?
It seems a shame to throw out a good working device that I use everyday just because it can't be updated.
Thank you for you replies
so the way it works with google and its android os is this:
android os is an operating system much like windows. every so often google will update its android os. each update is named after desserts alphabetically. it started with cupcake (not sure what happen to a or b) then eclair, froyo (frozen yogurt), gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwich, jellybean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmellow, nougat, oreo, and now pie.

those are just the base os. each manufacturer and even carrier will add their spin to the os. they will add their own launcher which usually ads bloatware (unnecessary apps).

so yeah most likely your tablet will not have a pure android os, but rather something that either verizon or the manufacturer will add. most basic things will be very similar, just the feel might be slightly different.

if you checked and see if your tablet has an update and do not find one, then there is your answer. no updates are available. if there was one you would have found it there. most devices have a shelf life of about 3 years or so before support goes bye bye. once support is done, do not expect any more updates.

on some devices you can root it and install a newer android os provided that the developers have support for your device. these guys will have figured out a way to root it, install a custom recovery, and even create their own version of a custom rom.

i could go on, if you interested in learning about rooting and how that works, but your device does not have any backing of developers so that is not an option right now......it looks like your stuck with whatever android version is installed on your tablet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom