• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading from an S9, looking to spend 500

Vypertech

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
Been thinking about the Samsung Galaxy A23 5G or the A53, wondering if these phones will outperform the S9, (I assume they will since the S9 is older tech but could be wrong). Anything out there good for 500 or under. I'm not really into cell phone games that use heavy graphics, but I do want a smooth UI, didn't want the overall feel to be laggy. Ideally 300 and under would be nice, but I can push to 500. Anyone know of good options?

when looking for a phone or comparing phones, gsmarena is the best place to go.

here is a side by side comparison:

they both have trade offs.
  • the a23 has a bigger screen, but uses lcd tech. while the a53's screen has super amoled tech.
  • the a23 has a better chip qualcomm's snapdragon 695. while the a53 use exynos....not my favorite chip
  • the a53 has a better camera 64mp compared to 50mp in the a23
  • the selfie camera is also better in the a53 with 32MP to 8MP in the a23.
so you can see, it depends on what you want.

here are some reviews comparing both:

Upvote 0
when looking for a phone or comparing phones, gsmarena is the best place to go.

here is a side by side comparison:

they both have trade offs.
  • the a23 has a bigger screen, but uses lcd tech. while the a53's screen has super amoled tech.
  • the a23 has a better chip qualcomm's snapdragon 695. while the a53 use exynos....not my favorite chip
  • the a53 has a better camera 64mp compared to 50mp in the a23
  • the selfie camera is also better in the a53 with 32MP to 8MP in the a23.
so you can see, it depends on what you want.

here are some reviews comparing both:
Are either of these worth upgrading to from an S9? camera's are obviously superior, but beyond that?

Upvote 0
Are either of these worth upgrading to from an S9? camera's are obviously superior, but beyond that?
anything is going to be better than the s9 at this point. do you use the camera a lot? do you care about the quality? the a53 is better than the a23's camera. same goes for the front camera.

but i think the snapdragon in the a23 5g may make this phone a bit faster and smoother than the exynos chip in the a53 5g.

i think in both cases, the camera and chip from both phones would be better than the s9.

Upvote 0
well so far the reviews for the a53's camera are just so so:

wired does not like the a23 5g:

oh and the a23 5g has a headphone jack. the a53 does not.

The one plus nord n20 5g was also one I was looking at but I never played around outside of samsung
i am a samsung guy thru and thru. never touched or seen a one plus phone so i can't comment on them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones