• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading from the Droid X

mcoomer

So, not the most mature thing I've ever done but I smashed my Droid X and now I need a new phone. The wife was bugging me about a few female friends I have in Facebook, including a few I knew in high school, and after a recent round of "who's that" questions I simply grabbed my phone and smacked it against the kitchen island countertop. No more nagging about Facebook but now I need a new phone.

The timing could be better. I just used my upgrade to get a new phone for the wife when her old one started acting up so whichever I choose will be out of my pocket. Since I'm paying for it I'd like a few opinions on some of my choices. I love the DX and I'm half tempted to simply buy one off EBay but I'd like your thoughts. There some real rockets out there now but I keep hearing things like poor build quality (Nexus), can't get to the battery and so so display (Razr).

One specific question I have is whether having a 4G device means I'll lose my unlimited data plan. Other than that I just want a good phone. Probably leaning towards the Razr so help me decide one way or the other. Buy a used DX, get a Razr, Nexus, or???

Thanks,
Mike

PSA: Facebook is bad for marriages!

In all seriousness, you won't lose unlimited data by going to a 4G phone, but you will pay quite a bit for the phone since you're having to buy off contract. If you live in a 4G area, then only you can decide if it's worth it to you. OTOH, used X's and other similar phones are going for about $150-$200 on ebay and craig's list if you don't want to spend a mint and just want something to get you by until you have upgrade pricing available.

if you have to buy off contract. I would check out a used 4G phone. You should be able to find a ReZound even already used at a good deal.

did you have insurance on the phone? just call in for an insurance replacement, costs $99 for the same type of phone, and you wont have to pay close to 6-700 for a phone

did you have insurance on the phone? just call in for an insurance replacement, costs $99 for the same type of phone, and you wont have to pay close to 6-700 for a phone
I wonder if they are still using the X2 as a replacement or if they are giving out something even newer now.

No insurance on the phone. When the wife's phone died last week it was the first time I've ever had one go out so I've never felt the need to buy insurance.

I think I'm going to get in touch with Verizon, plead my case, and see if they'll make me a deal on a Razr or wait a week or so till the Maxx comes out and either get one of those or see what happens to the prices on the original Razrs. On that, if I already owned a Razr I'd be a little pissed at Motorola. Less than three months after the release and they're coming out with a phone with essentially twice the battery life. Good looking out Motorola [/sarcasm].

Mike

No insurance on the phone. When the wife's phone died last week it was the first time I've ever had one go out so I've never felt the need to buy insurance.

I think I'm going to get in touch with Verizon, plead my case, and see if they'll make me a deal on a Razr or wait a week or so till the Maxx comes out and either get one of those or see what happens to the prices on the original Razrs. On that, if I already owned a Razr I'd be a little pissed at Motorola. Less than three months after the release and they're coming out with a phone with essentially twice the battery life. Good looking out Motorola [/sarcasm].

Mike
I don't understand why people get pissed off when something better comes out a few months later...especially since the Maxx isn't necessarily "better".

wait 6 more months, something better will come out, but in pairs of 3, its the cycle of android. its not good for android at all, but at the same time, its how the robot makes more money.
i dont think vzw will give you a major deal on a phone, they may take $20 off, and thats if you are lucky

I don't understand why people get pissed off when something better comes out a few months later...especially since the Maxx isn't necessarily "better".

Not necessarily pissed but I'll guarantee you that the day the Razr was released, the Maxx was built and on hold waiting for its release. Why not simply give consumers the best phone possible and skip the "buy this and envy that" cycle.

Not necessarily pissed but I'll guarantee you that the day the Razr was released, the Maxx was built and on hold waiting for its release. Why not simply give consumers the best phone possible and skip the "buy this and envy that" cycle.
I bet it was designed, but not built yet. The manufacturing lines were being used to try to keep up with RAZR demand. As that demand reduced, they announced the white RAZR and transitioned some manufacturing from black to white RAZRs. As it declined more, they started transitioning from the black RAZR to purple RAZRs and the RAZR Maxx.

You can easily buy a used Droid Bionic off of ebay with a "Buy it Now" option for $250-$300 from a reputable seller. $300-$350 for a refurbished one and $300-$400 for a new one.

You can get a used Droid X2 for about $150-$200 on ebay or an original Droid X for about $100.

There are of course other good deals out there. Remember, when buying phones off of ebay, a clean ESN and a decent return policy are most important, don't trust any phone that doesn't accept returns.

OP - if you have unlimited data now on your 3G plan, that will carry over to your new 4G plan UNLESS you select otherwise.

Just did this myself as I upgraded from X to Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon wouldn't cut me slack on the price for the Razr so we came up with another solution. My niece had an old LG EnV so I activated a new line and bought the Razr for $249 for the new line. Once that was done I moved the LG EnV onto the new line and moved the Razr to my original line. Good to go.

Mike

But don't you now have to pay for that other line with the EnV? Unless someone is using it, that's wasted money, no?

I recently switched from the X to the Bionic. I couldn't be happier. I had nothing but problems with my X. So far, it's smooth sailing with the Bionic.

Back
Top Bottom