• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help User Reviews of The HTC EVO 4G LTE

I was going to get back up pro but now I am not sure I want it. Sprint had to order me a new phone cause of a reboot problem and phone wouldn't boot to home screen. Had this phone for about 2 weeks a little more and Saturday in the middle of a conversation my call went dead screen went black dead phone wouldn't charge or power back up. I was out of town and had a 5 hour drive home and I found a nice store who gave me a brand new phone in a box. I wish I would of at least taken a screen shot of all my home screens so I could remember how I had my screens configured. But someone mentioned backup pro and I was going to look into it. I have to reconfigure everything again. I had a lot of apps too. I remember going from one EVO to another and all my wifis showed up in the list this time there gone.

I went back and restored the First backup. It did bring back a little more, but still not everything. I guess I am just s.o.l.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've never rooted and it's not for me. I think it sounds cool and all but I'm good with the phone out of the box. I can't believe 2 weeks after my store gave me another phone and the guy said oh turns out the warehouse didn't have any refurbs the EVO is too new your actually getting a brand new phone. And a 3rd party store in TN where I was said oh your phone has a VTO some kind of sticker on the back and that means it's a refurb and the other worker said yes it is. But then the big corporate store in Knoxville said that sticker doesn't always mean it's refurb and they were wrong. Cause I wanted to complain on my store.

But either way I was without a phone for 2 or 3 days mine just went dead during a call and screen went black wouldn't turn on charge or anything it was dead and I only had it a little over a couple weeks and they gave me a brand new one box charger and all. They were really nice. Now I'm worried about putting all my apps back on there I have alot and am hoping an app didn't mess up my phone but for it just die like that.

The best backup outside of root is MyBackup Pro used with SMS Backup+.

With root, you can backup everything, but root isn't for everyone.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've never rooted and it's not for me. I think it sounds cool and all but I'm good with the phone out of the box. I can't believe 2 weeks after my store gave me another phone and the guy said oh turns out the warehouse didn't have any refurbs the EVO is too new your actually getting a brand new phone. And a 3rd party store in TN where I was said oh your phone has a VTO some kind of sticker on the back and that means it's a refurb and the other worker said yes it is. But then the big corporate store in Knoxville said that sticker doesn't always mean it's refurb and they were wrong. Cause I wanted to complain on my store.

But either way I was without a phone for 2 or 3 days mine just went dead during a call and screen went black wouldn't turn on charge or anything it was dead and I only had it a little over a couple weeks and they gave me a brand new one box charger and all. They were really nice. Now I'm worried about putting all my apps back on there I have alot and am hoping an app didn't mess up my phone but for it just die like that.

A sure fire way to spot a refurb is to go into your dialer. Press ##786# a list will appear scroll down until you see refurbished status. If it says no your good. If there is a date.. Your refurbed! :eek:

And btw rooting is SUPER easier than it sounds. You could deff do it! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I wish I would of known that about the dialer thing. One 3rd party store said I got a refurb but the repair guy at this corporate store in Knoxville said that sticker on the back doesn't always mean it was a refurb so I wasn't going to complain on my store when he said that. But they were nice enough to give me a brand new phone in a box since I had a 5 hour drive home. So I don't need to check now. But my other phone went dead and wouldn't even power on and it was getting really hot while charging worse then my old one which got warm. So something fried inside of it I don't know.

And yes I've been told rooting is easy but I'm scared. But I still love my phone and wouldn't trade the EVO over any other phone. I was looking at the SIII yesterday but I love HTC and Sense that's just me. I love the windshield wipers on the screen when it's raining. LOL!

A sure fire way to spot a refurb is to go into your dialer. Press ##786# a list will appear scroll down until you see refurbished status. If it says no your good. If there is a date.. Your refurbed! :eek:

And btw rooting is SUPER easier than it sounds. You could deff do it! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Yep I still love the evo lte. The only thing tempting me right now is the note 2. Buy I can't stand Samsung and I'm not one to get a new phone before my upgrades. If you still want to check the dialer trick its fast and I easy. Can't go wrong you literally just put that code in the dialer and then the menu pops up.

I like the wipers too. Your not alone. Lol I for one like sense. That's why I stick with Meanrom. :)

Upvote 0
Well that's what I thought but the 1st original one I bought new at BB when it came out did this reboot thing and wouldn't boot to the home screen but that was a few weeks ago after having the phone for 3-4 months. I hard reset it and after a bit of putting some apps back on it did it again. I hard reset it and the store did run a diagnostics and said it was hardware and gave me this other phone. Which a little over 2 weeks it died completely. I did notice it getting hotter than normal too. But I am very grateful this Knoxville store gave me new phone in a box. I had a 5 hour drive home.

Sprints been good to me over the past 10 years and because this store gave me a new phone and things worked out I am a happy. Now to get all my apps back on the phone and get my screens back the way I had them. The guy at the store said put on one app at a time and wait an hour to make sure nothing is messing up the phone but I have too many apps and yesterday I put several on at once. I can't do one at a time. LOL! But so far so good. Thanks for your input and sorry I tend to type too long alot of times.

Anyway, no app can break a phone, so I promise you were safe on that, Rose. :)

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

Some of you might know me. I generally hang out in the root section of this forum. I've come to say goodbye. You see, I really like the EVO. It's a solid phone with a great screen and has a great community of people behind it.

But it has these finicky LTE radios.

I'm lucky enough to be in a city where LTE is being rolled out. I flipped my lid when I woke up a few weeks ago to find that LTE had been turned on where I live. I literally ran around my neighborhood using Sensorly to map the LTE coverage. The speeds are unreal.

The thing was, I noticed that the EVO had trouble connecting to LTE sometimes. Other times it would connect, then immediately drop back to 3G. I chalked it up to the network being new and not officially live in my city and moved on. But then I started talking to other EVO owners on XDA and S4GRU, and realized that the EVO had some very finicky LTE radios. S4GRU even wrote an article about it.

I decided to be bold. I bought a Galaxy Note 2 off contract to compare the reception of the two phones. I figured, if I didn't see any appreciable differences, I could return it. I'd be out $35 for the restocking fee, but that's the price you pay for diligence.

Going around town, the first thing I noticed was that the Note was picking up LTE signals in places that I thought had no LTE coverage at all. They weren't always very strong, but they were present, and the Note was finding them where the EVO wasn't, even if I toggled airplane mode on and off to trigger a radio search. The speed tests shocked me, because not only was the Note finding more LTE signals than the EVO, but it was consistently getting faster downloads. Uploads seemed about the same on both, sometimes slightly higher on the EVO. 3G speeds were comparable between the two.

What really did it in for me is that I took the phones into work. I work in an IMAX booth, so I'm basically in a big thick box that's difficult for cell signals to penetrate. I can make calls easily enough, but data has always been tough. And although I knew the area around my work had active LTE, I had never seen more than a fleeting glimpse of the LTE logo on my EVO when in the booth. I even did the trick where you force the phone into LTE only mode, and it did pick up an LTE signal, but it was so weak that it was slower than 3G. I figured that once again the box I work in had prevented me from getting the good data speeds I wanted.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that the Note got mild but solid LTE coverage in the booth. I pulled over 3 mbps down, which is actually great considering the above factors and that Sprint is still doing work on the network. My EVO, by contrast, had 3G only and pulled down less than 1 mbps.

This was enough for me to consider keeping the Note and reselling the EVO. With that in mind, I started figuring out everything the Note can do. Well, let me tell you, I fell in love with this phone overnight. After having a Nexus 4G, I was not a fan of Samsung, but the SIII and the Note II are different beasts entirely. Samsung has really upped their game in every possible area. The way TouchWiz has been implemented on the Note is really impressive, and I never thought I'd say that about boring old TouchWiz. But the Note is a really spectacular phone.

In the end, I decided to keep the Note. I will be reselling my EVO to recoup some of the cost. But at this point, I'm happy as a clam. I am, however, sad to leave the EVO and all you great people. I want to thank EarlyMon for being the most active and helpful mod I've ever seen (and I moderate a forum on another site, so I know how hard it could be). You're all great people and the passion you have for your phone is second to none. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. I'll still be around, but over at the Note 2 forum.

tl;dr: Found out Note 2 has better LTE coverage, so I'm switching phones.

Upvote 0
Ok I have to chime in as well. I now own a S3. For the holiday the family went down to Orlando for the week. While at Universal studios the LTevo asked me if I minded roaming. I said no I don't, lol. Anywho, the phone went into 1xrtt which is normal. Well it never switched out. I mean never. I tried every solution possible. Took it to my trusted sprint tech/store. The problem couldn't be fixed so I was told I could get a replacement for $35. I was also offered a S3 as a replacement. I decided to give it a try with the idea that if I didn't like it I could swap for my wife's LTevo. I have to whole heartedly second what supermallet stated a few posts up. The radio is 1000 times better. I get LTE in so many more places and consistently. Even my 3g speeds are better. Before I got the S3 I didn't even realize I had 4g in my home. This is hands down the biggest pro over the LTEvo.

Other items I like better:
no issues with time stamps and placement of sms messages. for the past 3 models the evo's sms apps just can't get this right.

the sg3 browser gives me an option to completely back out unlike htc's browser

obviously the extra internal storage is lovely to have

rooting was an easy hour of research and execution

Things HTC does better...

battery life was so much better on LTEvo for me at least. I could go a day plus without charging. not so with the s3

I've had a few times where the s3 gets a bit warm. this was when I first got it so maybe it was a break-in thing

the evo feels a lot more solid and refined than the s3

and finally the kick stand. man I miss that thing.

Anywho, wife still has LTEvo so I'm not going anywhere. Just wanted to check in with my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Couldn't agree more falconey. SIII is great, very smooth, and is more like my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet that I always thought was the oddball. I agree on the downsides too. The battery is great on the weekend when I'm not "working" but atrocious during the week. But, I can always get a bigger battery with the SIII.

Best of all, I have LTE. 31MBPS just now. I obviously switched to Verizon from Sprint since Sprint sucks so amazingly bad in PHX and AZ in general. I'm taking the $400 hit just to get away from them to LTE.

Of course, the wife and daughter now have iPhone 5's. I have a new found appreciate for how crappy that phone is compared to the versatility and customization with the Androids. I hate even trying to make a call on it.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Have it for about a week, overall i really like my EVO LTE, the only problem is taking picture in low light. The camera produce lots of noise. Picture in low light is very grainy. Really bad if i comparing it to my LG Spectrum. My LG Spec is like 5 times better in low light situation. I really have high expectation to EVO LTE camera since it has a lot of feature like HTC imageSense, HTC image chip, f/2.0 lense. :(

Upvote 0
After having the HTC Touch, The Touch Pro, OG Evo, The Evo 3D, and then the LTE I found myself at a crossroads when deciding between sticking with HTC, or trying something different... Alas I have moved on and have pre-ordered the Galaxy S4. I was looking at the HTC One, and think they are moving in the right direction, unfortunately just a little too slow for me...

Perhaps when the next generation flagship HTC comes out I will come back, but until then I bid my farewell and will look forward to the next HTC flagship phone.... Meanwhile I will still have my Girlfriends LTE to play with if I feel a bit of nostalgia!

This is a great group of folks in this forum and I enjoyed being a part of this community!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I was looking at the HTC One, and think they are moving in the right direction, unfortunately just a little too slow for me...
What does this even mean?

Perhaps when the next generation flagship HTC comes out I will come back, but until then I bid my farewell and will look forward to the next HTC flagship phone.... Meanwhile I will still have my Girlfriends LTE to play with if I feel a bit of nostalgia!

This is a great group of folks in this forum and I enjoyed being a part of this community!
Don't be a stranger :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones