• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uses for Java Phones

They're supposed to cater to customer demand. Supply/Demand. Simple free market economics. Shareholders shouldn't even enter the equation since they're not the customers.

Either that or everything I was taught in Economics 101 was a lie...

Shareholders are usually the main investors in a company, and if they don't see a return on their investment $$$, they ain't going to invest, and therefore no company. Where I am, telcos like China Mobile, the investor and shareholder is the government. And if there's any losses on govt investments in state-owned enterprises, it comes out of taxes.

Yeah, supply/demand. But if the demand is dwindling, e.g. a few holdouts that are still using Java phones. It can become uneconomic for private telcos to pay for and maintain legacy network infrastructure. Unless they have a govt or legal obligation to keep old infrastructure running.

Shareholders don't mean jack when customers don't buy though. I don't get why they're the primary concern over the actual customers who buy the product. Who cares about investors when the customers are who give the $$$ to the company? This whole shareholder crap is new to me. I work at a smaller independently owned business and we make our $$$ from customers, not shareholders. Without customers, we go bankrupt. Business economics isn't rocket science it's quite simple. Customers want product, company supplies product. company makes good product, more customers to buy product. ultimately brand recognition happens when your brand makes a lot of good products and more customers buy. Make bad decisions which alienate your customers, it comes to bite you in the bum, and you can lose your business. the ultimate goal of a company is to sastisfy most of their customers, but preferably all of them (although it's not possible to satisfy everyone all the time).

I wanted to ask for a long time, but Mike, what the heck is that profile picture of yours supposed to be? It kinda comes off looking like vore, but not sure. Maybe it's just my crappy 16 year old laptop's resolution confusing me...

My avatar?

It's the cover of my favourite album. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King(1969)

Not only on AF, it's also a familiar sight for my students as well. :thumbsupdroid:
Screenshot_20230426_094451_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I am into vintage music, but I never heard of that particular artist. I know of groups such as Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, REO Speedwagon, ELO, and Styx to name a few, but not that one. Did they ever have any music in the U.S.? I know there are tons of great 70s-80s bands that I only found out about via YouTube Music since they never got airtime over here, such as Modern Talking and Radiorama. Heck, the radio stations that favor classics only play one song from The Who, leading you to believe they're a one-hit wonder.

Shamelessly copied from Wiki:
In the Court of the Crimson King (subtitled An Observation by King Crimson) is the debut studio album by English rock band King Crimson, released on 10 October 1969 by Island Records. The album is one of the earliest and most influential of the progressive rock genre, where the band combined the musical influences that rock music was founded upon with elements of jazz, classical, and symphonic music.

The album reached number five on the UK Albums Chart and number 28 on the US Billboard 200, where it was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.

You listed some very good groups! I think you would enjoy a listen to the LP.

The Grateful Dead were seriously popular during my high school years (well, their merch certainly was, from the bears to the many skeleton artwork t-shirts) and I was quite surprised when our rock station played a song of theirs and I looked it up and was blown away. I figured with all the 'death' references they'd sound more like Metallica than something from the '60s, and was even more mind blown when I discovered they were from the '60s. You'd never know that growing up in the 1990s. With all their merch being around I mistakened them for some 1990s death rock group. The song that made me discover them was Touch of Grey. It's one out of the 3K songs stored on my SD Card.

Here's the whole album. Suggest listening on headphones. Enjoy!

I've always loved KC's gratuitous use of mellotron, especially on the final track.

Back
Top Bottom