• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Bluetooth on an inactive phone

dgprice54

Lurker
I have had a Galaxy 8 for a long time. Still works great but I will be upgrading soon. When I do & the Galaxy 8 is no longer active, will I still be able to use the bluetooth to listen to the music on it? Thanks in advance!

Thanks All. I was just wondering if the bluetooth still works without the cellular connection. Good to know & my old phone is going to become my brand new bluetooth MP3 player! HAHA!

Thanks All. I was just wondering if the bluetooth still works without the cellular connection. Good to know & my old phone is going to become my brand new bluetooth MP3 player! HAHA!
You could still use it as a backup phone if you'd like. If you live in the US: As Fox said, you could install Google Voice and use it for wi-fi calling. Then it'd still be a cell phone, albeit wi-fi only. If you want a connection to a cellular network (and you live in the US): Ultra Mobile's PayGo Plan is just 5 USD per month.

Whether you go that route or not: It's likely that your old phone isn't getting Android security updates anymore. It's worth taking some time to secure your old phone, and your new phone while you're at it. Here's a thread with Android security tips.

I had a Note II that I used as a wifi calling phone when someone borrowed my Western Electric touch tone office phone that I use to dial automated systems (which don't agree with the two rotaries in the house), and an app called Freecall worked there, as did Viber + Viber Out subscription. Google Voice has cut off support for certain older Android versions, despite it having worked fine last year (maybe they're run by futurists?)

I could also use a similar trick with non-VoLTE phones using a data-only SIM (for a tablet line) and the same apps.

i still have my note 4 that i used to use as my mp3 player. but the battery life would not last a 4 mile walk that i used to do with my then puppy. right now it is sitting in my drawer somewhere. i might throw it away if i find it......just kidding @nickdalzell.....again i am only kidding.....lol

The app is for 8 and above but it's web based so can be used on anything that has a browser, microphone, speaker and WiFi. Dang handy little thing is Voice.
Does this mean you can use Samsung Internet on said Note II to enable Voice to work on it? I swear it worked fine last year. I am of the view if it worked fine last year it should work fine this year because nothing changed (except Google's attitude towards people who prefer their older phones, that is)

Doesn't matter anyway, because I found alternatives, plus, I don't trust any Google app because they all have longevity issues. Play Music was the straw which broke the camel's back for me. Like any corporation, they don't give any rat's hat if anyone complains or sends feedback, they'll do whatever they do anyway. If any company did that in the '60s they'd be bankrupt from the bad reputation in no time.

My Note II's (got two of 'em) still go a day on charge fine. What did you do to your Note 4 @ocnbrze ? Leave it plugged in for months? I made a couple of 'spicy pillows' out of my S5 batteries that way (when I used it for my internet via hotspot mode for 6 months when I moved into my home) but only because many online resources said that leaving a phone plugged in won't hurt it, because they are smart enough to regulate their own charge and not over charge the battery. They lied.

Back
Top Bottom