• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using Galaxy Nexus during Hurricane "Sandy"

SHIVA77

Android Enthusiast
Luckily my neighborhood didn't lose power while Sandy hit, nor did we get flooded. But the surrounding areas are a different matter.

But did lose internet and cable (TWC), so I was relying on my SGN heavily for both info and entertainment.

VZW's 4G-LTE chugged around without interruption. And I was easily able to check out news websites.

I watched a bunch a YouTube videos, but as many of you know, as you soon as you start watching videos, the battery gets sucked up extremely fast. Basically, I am not even sure you can watch more than 1 hour of video from full juice to none, it goes down that fast.

So, for reference, for those without power to recharge, watching videos on our SGN is not recommended unless you have a few extra batteries.

The emergency reaffirmed my decision, that my next phone will be a Galaxy Note II. When there is no power, you have no access to WiFi, so, cellular is the best option, and you want as large of an screen as possible. Or at least I want, if that's all I have to use. So, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, is definitely on my list as an upgrade.

Good luck to all of you who are affected by this storm.

You could also just tether it to something with a larger screen and bigger battery, like a tablet.

I don't think I'd buy a phone I had to use every day around something like a freak storm. If you use that logic, spend your cell phone money on a nice knife or a .22 rifle or something.

Since I am stuck with the Nexus until next October, I am stocking up on spare batteries. I already have one, but winter is coming and I feel why have one spare when you can have 5?

I have two stock batteries, plus one extended. but for a normal day, I never run out of battery, but again emergency situations are different.

Gnex served me throughout hurricane Sandy. Yesterday when all hell broke down.. I had stable Internet on it. I crushed on the couch at 4pm and slept for 3 hours by the time i woke up my gnex had 37% And 34 hours on battery power. With hurricane gone i thought the power should stay on so i didnt bother to put my phone on the charge and An hour later at around 8pm they shut down power for 4 hours probably due to repairs. By the time power got back my gnex was down to just 2% and 39 hours on battery charge.

I took a screenshot before blackout
Screenshot_2012-10-30-19-00-58_zps03f5cc70.png

My unlocked gsm nexus on AT&T worked as well as expected I suppose. With no power county wide, and an expected 7-10 days to restore, service was spotty for the first day or two, with no data connectivity at all, and many outgoing calls resulting in "all circuits busy" messages. After a phone restart today, all is well (cell phone wise, that is).

I agree with aurora, but I think I understand what you're saying too. During a hurricane or other big destructive storm, I wouldn't be worried about YouTube or other actual entertainment. My phone would solely be used for calls to the family, weather updates, and the like.

Under normal power outages , like regular thunderstorms , yea I understand what you're saying. The nexus doesn't have the best battery, or screen, etc, but for me it is a decent all around performer.

Why did you get the nexus in the first place? For me, it's mainly about the customization and what better phone is there than the nexus? It also does everything I need it to. I don't like the ultra large screen and also prefer to keep my phone in the pocket most of the time so a note isn't for me. For the times I want a larger screen I have my nook color. If you don't have a tablet and have some similar thoughts as me maybe you should think about one.

So there was a little bit of a argument about what is useful during a storm. These posts slowly started looking like veiled attacks on other people and their affiliations. We do not appreciate that here. So I've removed the posts. Please do not attack your fellow forum members. If someone annoys you, please report the post and/or put them on your ignore list. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom