• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using phone as in car mp3 player

masully1984

Has anyone ever used there phone as the mp3 player in there car? I have a Pioneer DVD player (avh-p4000) in my car with an usb input. I got bored today and hooked up my phone to see if the headunit would read it, sure enough it did and it played the mp3's on my sdcard. I would like to think this isn't just limited to the Incredible, I would imagine any android phone would work but I haven't had a chance to try a different model. No more ipod for me!!!

Yea, it will work with anything that has a USB connection, so even if you have a flash/thumb/pocket drive, it will work with that...as long as there is music on there of coarse. I think you may also be able to hear phone calls through it, not entirely sure on that part though.

I don't use a USB port but I do use the headphone jack to listen to music using my Incredible in my cars. I will say it does sound pretty good and clear. I still think the ipod is much easier to use and the interface is just less of a hassle. I know there are some apple haters on the forum but the ipod is a superior music player imo. Anyway the incredible is an amazing phone and i would like to see an app that makes it a better music player. Come on devs get on it!!!!

I don't use a USB port but I do use the headphone jack to listen to music using my Incredible in my cars. I will say it does sound pretty good and clear. I still think the ipod is much easier to use and the interface is just less of a hassle. I know there are some apple haters on the forum but the ipod is a superior music player imo. Anyway the incredible is an amazing phone and i would like to see an app that makes it a better music player. Come on devs get on it!!!!

The iPod has had more time to work on it's music playing abilities, when it first came out, that was the main focus of it, so it should have a better interface. I am not sure if HTC has ever done anything with music players that are strictly that, but I think the stock music player is pretty good for a phone. The only thing I need it to do is select the song I want, and play it. There really isn't a need to make it pretty. I would, however, like to see a search option added to the stock music player.

When I connect my incredible in my car and plug in the power adapter the phone no longer finds my music and playlists on my SD card. I have it set on charge only and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Mike

On the topic of music players, winamp has a beta app out now.
I like it and it has search, also is suppose to sync with pc version of winamp.
Haven't tried syncing yet. I have a Yukon with stock radio and dvd player.
The other day I tried plugging my DINC into the DVD/AUX RCA plugs.
I used a headphone to RCA wire and it worked pretty good. My Yukon also comes with GPS but we prefer the one on the DINC so even on long drives (4+ hours) we have used my DINC to tell us how to get there.
Okay, as I read what I just wrote I see how that could be taken the wrong way.
Side note...My Yukon also has an information center that the manual calls a DIC
Driver's Information Console (no lie).
Question for you: does that USB plug also charge the phone, while plugged into the car?

When I connect my incredible in my car and plug in the power adapter the phone no longer finds my music and playlists on my SD card. I have it set on charge only and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Mike

Try using it in Disk Drive mode.

On the topic of music players, winamp has a beta app out now.
I like it and it has search, also is suppose to sync with pc version of winamp.
Haven't tried syncing yet. I have a Yukon with stock radio and dvd player.
The other day I tried plugging my DINC into the DVD/AUX RCA plugs.
I used a headphone to RCA wire and it worked pretty good. My Yukon also comes with GPS but we prefer the one on the DINC so even on long drives (4+ hours) we have used my DINC to tell us how to get there.
Okay, as I read what I just wrote I see how that could be taken the wrong way.
Side note...My Yukon also has an information center that the manual calls a DIC
Driver's Information Console (no lie).
Question for you: does that USB plug also charge the phone, while plugged into the car?

When you phone is plugged into USB it does charge, but not as quickly as it will in the cigarette lighter or in the wall.

Try using it in Disk Drive mode.

Tried drive mode. still no good.

Seems when it's on charge only it still connects as a disc drive. When I plug it into my computer it says charge only yet still brings up the SD drive contents on my screen.

Is the USB cable plugged into the stereo? or are you using the audio jack at the top?

I prefer the stock radio in the car, makes me laugh and keeps me up to date on whats going on in my city and how traffic is.

Tried drive mode. still no good.

Seems when it's on charge only it still connects as a disc drive. When I plug it into my computer it says charge only yet still brings up the SD drive contents on my screen.

I have been having the same problem. It was working for me until suddenly it stopped. I run it in disk drive mode and then it messes up my sd card and I have to restart the phone. I am so bummed because it was awesome when it worked! I could even control it through my steering wheel controls.

i keep a flash drive plugged into my deck but i use Pandora every now and again when its not to hot (tucson az). im kinda nervous leaving my phone on some thing over 100 for any amount of time.

I use Slacker/Pandora and MP3 streaming Bluetooth Audio to stero thru a MotoRokr T505. It's awesome , can barely tell it's using FM to transmit. But I'd like to update to a deck with bluetooth. Still rocking the stock HarmonKardon in my '00 Range Rover

Back
Top Bottom