• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using this phone overseas with another carrier

xefe

I have a verizon phone that is utilized stateside when I am in the United States; Is it possible with a rooted galaxy nexus to use this phone in another country on a different network. Just by swapping out the sim cards? Dont want to have to buy and use multiple phones. The majority of my time is spent overseas and I would like to use this phone overseas with my carrier.

the Verizon GNex (i515) is not compatible with international networks. for use overseas, you would need the GSM version (i9250). i wish they made a global model that worked on both CDMA/LTE and GSM/HSPA networks, but we're just not that lucky. :(

What countries? Europe? No. Wifi over there, yes. Verizon uses a CDMA network and CDMA is not prevalent outside of North America except for maybe a few Asian countries. Most of the world uses a GSM network. If you want a global Gnex, you should sell the Verizon phone, cancel your contract, self-import an HSPA+ version of the GNex and put in an AT&T or TMo SIM.

the Verizon GNex (i515) is not compatible with international networks. for use overseas, you would need the GSM version (i9250). i wish they made a global model that worked on both CDMA/LTE and GSM/HSPA networks, but we're just not that lucky. :(

But who would have thought of making a flagship phone a global phone? Oh yeah apple did:( I'm 100% in agreement it would have made much more sense to make the phone global.

Not true.

Call VZW and ask for their international department. I have in the past. VZW > internet.

Sure your destination may not support cdma phones, but not every area supports gsm phones either.

Sure there are different technologies inherent and a given, none have really been made clear.

And the locked iphone comments are just hilarious.

I was in three different locations in Europe for almost four weeks. No service anywhere. WiFi was my only option. I agree with the GSM comment. Everyone I dealt with there had a GSM phone and most were Android!

I was in three different locations in Europe for almost four weeks. No service anywhere. WiFi was my only option. I agree with the GSM comment. Everyone I dealt with there had a GSM phone and most were Android!

op, xefe, didn't state which countries. You didn't either :D:D

I think it was the imagio on vzw? Was a world phone with the additional radios, had that phone for like a few weeks. VZW international was more than happy to unlock it for me.

op, xefe, didn't state which countries. You didn't either :D:D

I think it was the imagio on vzw? Was a world phone with the additional radios, had that phone for like a few weeks. VZW international was more than happy to unlock it for me.

Brazil ... but it needs to be a quad band phone with a sim card. ended up not going with this phone but a samsung windows 7 one.

Several countries in Asia have CDMA networks as well - China included. I've used CDMA phones there in the past but haven't been over since I got my GN.

Back
Top Bottom