• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Venting my issues and wants

arparaspolo

Android Enthusiast
I am just venting here...
Why can't GPS turn on automatically? I hate clicking "navigate" from my map only to have it say "hey, you're GPS isn't on, would you like to turn it on?" ummm HEELLOOOO I just freakin clicked navigate didn't I??? Pisses me off. There should be an option for auto on. And Auto off. If I bring up the Nav, it turns on. When I close the Nav, it turns off. How hard is that?

Another thing I would like is the ability to have two separate input methods for texting. I would like a portrait and a landscape. This is why. When I have the phone closed, I like swype. It is fast and can be done one handed. But when I have the keyboard open or am in landscape I would like multi touch. When I have swype enabled and I open the keyboard, the auto correct isn't the same as when in multi touch. They should be separate.

The last thing I can think of for now, is the crappy camera software. I take a lot of pictures with my phone. It is my main use for all that is Phone, MP3, Internet & Camera. I don't have anything else that can do those things which is why I purchased a "Smart phone". I hate having to use an app to do something that the phone should do on its own. The camera software is pathetic. I don't understand. The camera in the X was great. In the X2 it was less than great but still ok. Now the D3, it has become horrible. I don't understand how the camera is de-evolving? doesn't make sense.

Thanks for listening haha.

Why can't GPS turn on automatically? I hate clicking "navigate" from my map only to have it say "hey, you're GPS isn't on, would you like to turn it on?" ummm HEELLOOOO I just freakin clicked navigate didn't I??? Pisses me off. There should be an option for auto on. And Auto off. If I bring up the Nav, it turns on. When I close the Nav, it turns off. How hard is that?

That's an easy one. Just leave GPS on all of the time. The GPS radio is only used when you used an app like Maps or Navigations (which is actually the Maps app) that calls on location services.

Wouldn't that waste the battery?

No - or, not that much. As I said, the only time that the GPS radio is used is when an app calls for location from it.

Turning GPS "On" on an Android phone just makes it available for use - it doesn't actively sit looking at GPS satellites until an app or service looks for location. So, if you have a location based app - say, a weather widget that updates the weather once an hour, and the widget is set to display the weather for the current location - the widget will, once an hour, check GPS for current location, and then turn off the radio.

There is actually an icon that appears in the phone status bar when the GPS is being used. It looks like the attached.

When you turn GPS "Off", all that does is tell apps that the GPS radio is not available. It does save a slight amount of battery from something like the weather widget scenario I mentioned earlier - in that case, it would try to get location from the network or using VZW services, if you have turned those on in settings->location & security. But the amount of battery used by GPS is only significant if you are using an app like Maps, Navigation, an exercise tracking app, etc. - and, of course, in those cases you want GPS on anyway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 8.20.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 8.20.01 PM.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 44
Another thing I would like is the ability to have two separate input methods for texting. I would like a portrait and a landscape. This is why. When I have the phone closed, I like swype. It is fast and can be done one handed. But when I have the keyboard open or am in landscape I would like multi touch. When I have swype enabled and I open the keyboard, the auto correct isn't the same as when in multi touch. They should be separate.

There is an app that allows you to switch keyboards when phone changes orientation. Click here----> HERE

Works very well. But it does requite root though.

There is an app that allows you to switch keyboards when phone changes orientation. Click here----> HERE

Works very well. But it does requite root though.

I actually found this last night while watching Goodfellas :D these options should be standard on all smart phone.

I do have a toggle for GPS, I just forget to hit it most of the time.

Thanks for all the advise. I will try it out.

Back
Top Bottom