• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Add Spelling Underline Feature?

recDNA

Android Enthusiast
It is a standard Android feature to underline misspelled words in red. I'm not talking about autocorrect. I mean, if you have auto correct shut off a red line should be drawn under misspellings. Apparently Touchwiz eliminates this feature. Is there any way to get it back if rooted?

Android does
uve9e4y4.jpg

Note 3 doesn't.
etygasu4.jpg

It is a standard Android feature to underline misspelled words in red. I'm not talking about autocorrect. I mean, if you have auto correct shut off a red line should be drawn under misspellings. Apparently Touchwiz eliminates this feature. Is there any way to get it back if rooted?

Android does
uve9e4y4.jpg

Note 3 doesn't.
etygasu4.jpg

I miss that feature also. Running HyperDrive 6. Have not come across that feature. Though would be nice. They have a great many other tweaks.

Any resolution on how to get the mispelling underlined in red function on Galaxy Note 3? I have sent out many work emails containing misspelled words, so any help would be appreciated

I had to root the phone to get it. Running Hyperdrive 7 android 4.3 It has the underline feature.

I had to root the phone to get it. Running Hyperdrive 7 android 4.3 It has the underline feature.
I have never done this. How do You root a phone? Just find hyperdrive 7 Android 4.3 and install it? I was on w Samsung helped yesterday and he was not able to assist me as he said he didn't know how to resolve the issue. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

It is a complicated process that if done wrong can permanently ruin your phone. It can compromise phone security and it voids any warranty you may have. My suggestion is if you don't know what rooting is you don't want to root your phone.

If you are determined the process requires rooting first, then installing safestrap, finally installing the rom. (Hyperdrive) If you have already updated to android 4.4 kitkat you would have to use a different rooting method and a different version of safestrap and Hyperdrive than I have since I am using the android 4.3 version (jellybean).

If you are brave and adventurous the information you need to root, install safestrap, then install the rom are available in the note 3 forum at xda developers forums.

Another alternative is to try out other phones if you want to trade yours in. I know the LG G2 still had the red underline function because I tried it out at Best Buy. I haven't tried since the kitkat update because I decided to root rather than sell my note 3 to buy the lg. G2.

The reason Note 3 doesn't have this function is Apple sued Samsung claiming they had a patent on it and Apple won. Apple apparently hasn't sued LG yet.

Seriously? Motorola and every other type of phone I have owned in the last few years have had the red underline. That is ridiculous. Thank you very much for your time and wealth of knowledge. Ughhh. Stupid Apple. It's a red underline, you can't own a red underline. If that's the case then why can't Samsung make it an orange or blue underline? Sheesh! Thanks again :/

I would think Microsoft would own it if anybody could. They've had underlining of spelling errors in Word forever. Yes, my Motorola RAZR MAXX HD has the function too. Probably everybody BUT Sammy.

I would think Microsoft would own it if anybody could. They've had underlining of spelling errors in Word forever. Yes, my Motorola RAZR MAXX HD has the function too. Probably everybody BUT Sammy.
Not fair. Pointless to have such a great phone with lots of capabilities & the quality of emails/work related stuff that goes out is a complete mess. Sniffle sniffle

Samsung is the only manufacturer I know of that didn't have it. Drove me mad til I got something else

The other option is to root and flash a ROM based on stock android, but then you lose all touchwiz features you may like

Not true. Hyperdrive has all the touchwiz features and has the underlining activated. Rooting, however, isn't for everyone.

If you're interested in rooting we can assist you on getting through the process, there are a few guides around here that will help you, but just remember the dangers of rooting :)

If you're interested in rooting we can assist you on getting through the process, there are a few guides around here that will help you, but just remember the dangers of rooting :)
What are the real dangers besides security issues or messing up your phone permanently? To me, having that red or whatever other color underline would mean the world to me. It was so embarrasing when I read the email I sent the night before. Guess my brain thought a tiny bit faster than my typing and I swear the missing words or misspelled words happened once I hit send ;)

I'm not a computer genius, but I can be technical when provided with "how to..." instructions

Thank you
V

This is the place to get help. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-3

I would have been happy to help you but since I rooted the root exploit has changed and the roms have changed. Prepare to do lots of reading and ask lots of questions. Check available roms to make sure underlining still works before going to all the trouble of rooting. Let me know how you make out. Please don't try anything until you are SURE you understand EXACTLY what to do. Good luck!

ps. If you have Verizon please be sure to specifically read in the verizon section of the note 3 forums

What are the real dangers besides security issues or messing up your phone permanently? To me, having that red or whatever other color underline would mean the world to me. It was so embarrasing when I read the email I sent the night before. Guess my brain thought a tiny bit faster than my typing and I swear the missing words or misspelled words happened once I hit send ;)

I'm not a computer genius, but I can be technical when provided with "how to..." instructions

Thank you
V

There is a chance that the device will trip the Knox counter when rooting, which voids your warranty, the chance it very slim if you follow the guide directly, but there still is a chance.

There is also a slim chance of bricking your device, which is permanent and would mean you would need a new device.

Otherwise if you are willing I have a guide if you are on 4.3 and need to root, and I know of a guide if you are on 4.4 and need root. :)

I am running HyperDrive 8 on VzW KitKat. I was looking to see if the red underline feature was enabled. wasn't sure it was, but as I type this. duh. it is.

tangent thought. is there a way to add a word to custom dictionary or edit such a dictionary?

tangent thought. is there a way to add a word to custom dictionary or edit such a dictionary?

Typically when you type out a word that is not in the dictionary and want to use that word instead...

Example: lol...wants it to switch to 'look', well when I custom choose 'lol' it should pop up with a "add to dictionary?" in which case when you click on that it will automatically add that word to your dictionary.

And to subtract one?

Whatever text messaging program you are using it should be in the settings.

In Swype > Settings > My Words > Edit my Dictionary ---> remove words

Samsung Keyboard > Settings > Click on Predictive Text > My Words List

If you have a different keyboard let me know :)

i use swift but just a pointer, you must have google keyboard installed for red underlining to work. You don't have to USE google keyboard but it has to be installed on the phone.

Well in Swiftkey it learns what you type, the more you choose something like "lol" the more it will be willing to decide that that's the word you ultimately want to use.

Just like how my gf's name is short for Cat, well when I first started sliding it, obviously Swiftkey didn't capitalize it, but after me correcting it a few times, it started giving me the option to capitalize it, and now it automatically capitalizes it unless I choose otherwise. :)

Sort of my problem. It capitalizes the first letter of my email addy even in the middle of a sentence. Of course it shouldn't be capitalized.

Sort of my problem. It capitalizes the first letter of my email addy even in the middle of a sentence. Of course it shouldn't be capitalized.

If you correct the issue a few times it should automatically, at least, give you an option to choose the lower case.

Just unreal that Note 3 doesn't have this..

Is it really because of the law suit?

And that Samsung really removed it from OS?!

I agree. If some other brand still has it when I buy my next phone it won't be a samsung. I rooted just to get this one feature back. I prefer not to root.

Back
Top Bottom