• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Clock widget keeps freezing, please help.

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
I have a CDMA Galaxy Nexus running AOKP Build 31 (Android 4.0.4). I have a 4x2 Beautiful Widgets Superclock widget running on my home screen and it keeps freezing periodically. I can't seem to identify a pattern. Sometimes I'll turn my screen on and the clock will be fine. Other times I turn the screen on, the clock will be frozen at an earlier time and will not update.

I tried removing and re-adding the widget to the home screen, but then I just get a placeholder that says "Loading..." The widget never loads though. I've also tried force closing Beautiful Widgets and that does not help. Neither does uninstalling and reinstalling it. I have to reboot my phone for the widget to work again once it's frozen.

I'm not sure if this is related to AOKP or not, but it's been doing this for the last few updates. When I went to build 31, I did a factory reset and wiped all data, but the problem persists. Yes, I did restore from Titanium Backup, and I have read that could be the problem. But I installed Beautiful Widgets and then re-installed it fresh without restoring data or the app, and it still does it.

So now I'm at a loss... I can't continue using the widget if I have to reboot my phone all the time to get it working.

Any suggestions?

your problem could be that your using a task killer or a battery saver they tend to close clock widgets at times also some ram management apps will close apps to free ram

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not using a task killer of any kind. I have discovered that it's not just a problem with Beautiful Widgets though because even the stock ICS clock widget freezes. I'm with you that something is causing the widgets to stop responding, but I'm not seeing anything that could be the culprit. :-(

I found one work-around that does not require rebooting: if I restart Nova Launcher, the widget will fix itself until next time. I don't see any settings in Nova that would be causing this problem though...

Any other ideas?

Just re-opening this thread to ask for further help. My clock widgets are still freezing randomly several times per day, which require me to restart Nova Launcher to get them to function again. I have not been able to determine if it's a problem with Nova, the widgets, or the OS. I have tried re-installing Nova and the widgets without success. Even the stock clock widget will freeze, but I typically use the Superclock Beautiful Widget.

I'm still getting push e-mail, weather alerts, and other background data information without issue. I don't have any task killers running. I tried turning up the minimum CPU setting in AOKP, but that did not help at all. I have not been able to discover a pattern when it freezes. Sometimes it freezes after just a few minutes, sometimes it takes many hours. I'm not sure, but could it possibly be a sleep issue of some sort?

Just re-opening this thread to ask for further help. My clock widgets are still freezing randomly several times per day, which require me to restart Nova Launcher to get them to function again. I have not been able to determine if it's a problem with Nova, the widgets, or the OS. I have tried re-installing Nova and the widgets without success. Even the stock clock widget will freeze, but I typically use the Superclock Beautiful Widget.

I'm still getting push e-mail, weather alerts, and other background data information without issue. I don't have any task killers running. I tried turning up the minimum CPU setting in AOKP, but that did not help at all. I have not been able to discover a pattern when it freezes. Sometimes it freezes after just a few minutes, sometimes it takes many hours. I'm not sure, but could it possibly be a sleep issue of some sort?

Geesh could be anything really. What version of nova you on? That fact that you restored from TiBu could have restored some data to your sdcard for Beautiful Widgets possibly. That could be causing it. Are you using the stock kernel? It is undervolted maybe your phone doesn't play nice with lowered voltages? Just have to trial and error it until you find it. Or you could wipe in full again and start from scratch NOT restoring any data or the app itself for the problem app.

I was running into the exact same issue, but I was using Be Weather Pro. Once I quite using that widget and started using Beautiful Widgets everything started running fine again. I'm not using AOKP, but the stock 4.0.4 rom.

I don't know if it will help, but these are the widgets I had when I was running into a problem.

Be Weather Pro w/ a Beautiful Widgets Skin
Stock Calendar widget
Stock Power Control Widget
My Verizon Widget
Elixir Widget
Tiny Flashlight Widget

Geesh could be anything really. What version of nova you on? That fact that you restored from TiBu could have restored some data to your sdcard for Beautiful Widgets possibly. That could be causing it. Are you using the stock kernel? It is undervolted maybe your phone doesn't play nice with lowered voltages? Just have to trial and error it until you find it. Or you could wipe in full again and start from scratch NOT restoring any data or the app itself for the problem app.

I am on the latest version of Nova Launcher 1.0.2 and I have tried removing and reinstalling it. I haven't tried changing voltages, but I did increase the minimum CPU clock speed and that didn't help. I'm running Build 32 of AOKP, but this issue has been present for the last several builds. The last build (which upgraded to 4.0.4) included a full wipe, though I did do a "missing apps" restore from Titanium. I did fresh installs of Nova and Beautiful Widgets just to make sure the Titanium data wasn't causing the problem with those. I suspect if I do another full wipe and don't restore using Titanium, the problem will go away.... but that's a LOT of work because I have quite a few apps installed and arranged the way I like.

I was running into the exact same issue, but I was using Be Weather Pro. Once I quite using that widget and started using Beautiful Widgets everything started running fine again. I'm not using AOKP, but the stock 4.0.4 rom.

Thanks, I do have BeWeather installed but I've been using both BeWeather and Beautiful Widgets together ever since I got my Nexus and the problem only started a week or two ago. I suppose the latest version of each could be causing problems with one another. However, the fact that even my stock clock widget freezes makes me think it's something with the kernel (just using the one included with AOKP).

Thanks for the help.... will keep trouble-shooting.

Any updates on this issue. A few weeks ago I purchased a GNex from Google and I am experiencing the exact same issue. I am using the stock launcher and my widgets keep freezing. To fix the problem I have to reboot the phone.

This is happening about once per day. I'm using the following widgets

Stock Calendar
BeWeather
Caynax Melody Battery

This issue also happens when I don't have BeWeather as an active widget. I am going to try and uninstall BeWeather to see how long I can go before it happens again. However, I don't believe it is BeWeather since all widgets freeze, even if I don't have the BeWeather widget active. I also used a different Battery widget before I started using Caynax and had the same issue.

as a troubleshooter i remove the impossible so what remain must be the problem. you have changed phones,widgets,and the rom it appears. i would conclude that what is common to both sets that still remains. i apologize for being abstract. i do hope that this points you to a solution to this on going problem.

I've been having the same problem but with ClockQ and Digital Clock Widget. And it's been across different ROMs, different kernels, and different launchers (Trebuchet, Nova, and Apex). I also have BeWeather installed, so when I came across this thread I had to consider that it was BeWeather that was causing the issue.

Other widgets I'm running are:
Pure Calendar Widget (2 instances)
Evernote

So I just uninstalled BeWeather and will try to remember to report back if it solves the problem.

Just use the app advanced clock widget from zooper.
Highly tweakable and lots of options. Also no ads. Better than the standard clock widget.

I had this freezing issue to with the standard clock app. Just a total reset will fix it some say. But this app makes it better.

Back
Top Bottom