• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Nonrooted/Rooted 4.3 to 4.4!

Digital Controller

The Real Bass Creator
Hey guys I wanted to make a guide for this because of how upset and angry I made myself upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4, please just follow the steps accordingly and everything will be fine and you won't be like me who had a paper weight for an entire day as I kept screwing up everything haha :D

This guide will help out anyone who is on 4.3 either rooted or unrooted to get to 4.4. I am also not responsible for any damage you cause to your device from rooting :).

If you are already rooted on 4.3 skip Steps 1 - 23

Just as a beforehand, I am getting a lot of this information from XDA, shout out to the Developers of JasmineROM and Safestrap for helping me through this! The_Chief also is pretty cool ;)

Step 1: So I would suggest to pick out a ROM that you would like to check out...there is a pretty decent list here: Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Android Development - xda-developers

Step 2: Download 3.71 of Safestrap here, (or 3.65 since that is the last stable build): File Contents of /Devs/Hashcode0f/note3/hltevzw/safestrap - theCF Hosting

Step 3: Download 3.75 KK Safetstrap here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2517610

Important: ROM slots are now available again with this version so feel free to download your ROM into that slot :)

Step 4: Download the latest of Chainfire's awesome SuperSU: SuperSU Download

Step 5: Now this is where things can differ, I know a lot of people have said good things about Kingo root method, well I don't like it, I use VRoot instead because it has worked every time for me. So pick your poison, both links will be below, also, there is an English version of VRoot now so it's a little less confusing...somewhat haha

Kingo: Root Android phone, flash custom ROM and manage your Android devices, Rooting Freeware Download - Kingo

VRoot: Get vroot_English version_Oneclick root tool.

Step 6: Download Odin 3.09: Odin3_v3.09

Step 7: Yeah downloads I know, but hell let's get it out of the way first. So first things first let's start rooting that sucka, but before you do that make sure you connect your phone to your computer and transfer the two versions of Safestrap and Chainfire's SuperSU into your phone's storage, you will need them soon.

Step 8: Turn on Debugging in your options, you can turn this on by first turning on Developer mode within the Settings > About Phone > Tap "Build Number" 7 times. Then Developer mode will turn up in your settings and turn on Debugging.

Step 9: By now you should open either Kingo or VRoot and begin the rooting process. I know that VRoot will ask for access on your phone from your computer, just click allow every time, there might be some Chinese windows that pop up too, just click the right button on all them, it's downloading the Chinese version of SuperSU (we will remove it later).

Step 10: Your phone just rebooted and you're rooted! Congrats! Now all the fun can begin, as we remove the Chinese SuperSU that is on your phone

Step 11: Install the JB version of Safestrap (3.65 - 3.71) by going into My Files and installing it, make sure when it asks that you need to go to Settings to enable "Unknown Sources" to just allow them for that download, it might ask you twice. After installing go into Safestrap and "Install Recovery", the Chinese SuperSU will ask for permission, allow.

Step 12: Install SuperSU the same way that you got to install Safestrap, now once installed it will ask you to update Binaries, say continue, then it will ask via Normal or TWRP/CWM, say Normal...It will try and disable the other SuperSU too, and fail, and it will disable Knox...sure...

Step 13: Go into Chainfire's SuperSU > Settings > scroll to the bottom and click the "Switch Superuser App", it will promptly uninstall itself.

Step 14: Reboot and at this point Safestrap should be enabled and boot into Recovery when you see the Crazy little robot guy

Step 15: From here install SuperSU again and reboot. When the phone reboots the Chinese version of SuperSU should be gone with just Chainfire's version

This is where things get optional. So when I first downloaded 4.4.2 I downloaded the leaked firmware then flashed the additional firmware update and it seemed to make my ROM run better, so do what you want. This is where I also made a backup of this base so that I could go back to it and skip the rooting to 4.4 process in case i messed up and had to flash the 4.3 base back onto my device and reroot and etc...

If you do not want to do that just go past the HIDE button and down to Step 24
Step 16: So the JasmineROM base is basically the leaked NC2 4.4.2 update so download it right here: JasmineROM - xda-developers DevDB

Also download the firmware update: JasmineROM - xda-developers DevDB

Step 17: Put the larger file, the first one, in the storage of your phone. Reboot and go into Safestrap recovery

Step 18: This is important, under the Wipe section click Advanced and make sure to wipe system/data/dalvik/cache

Step 19: Go to install and install the NC2 4.4.2 file that you put onto your device

Step 20: When it's done go back to the main screen within Safestrap and hit Reboot > Download

Step 21: This is where you open up Odin and it should look like this: LINK

Basically the Left box indicates that your phone is recognized by Odin, the AP is used for Firmware which is why we want to click it and choose our Firmware update provided by JasmineROM :)

Step 22: Once it validates the md5 we can press start at the bottom and once it is done it will auto reboot and you will have 4.4.2 on your device!

Step 23: Once you reboot you need to install the 3.72 Safestrap version. Make sure to install Busybox from the Playstore as the new version of Safestrap requires it and not every ROM has it installed. First go into the older version of Safestrap and uninstall the recovery. Then install the newer version, make sure to allow unknown sources when it asks. From here you should reboot back into Safestrap recovery and backup your system so that you have a base to work from
The Optional Stuff is Over

Step 24: From here we want to load our own ROM onto this sucka! So put your ROM in the storage of your device

Step 25: This is important, under the Wipe section click Advanced and make sure to wipe system/data/dalvik/cache

Step 26: Install the Rom you chose, here is a link to a few good ones!: Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Android Development - xda-developers

Step 27: Afterwards reboot into Download again

Step 28: This is where you open up Odin and it should look like this: LINK

Step 29: Once it validates the md5 we can press start at the bottom and once it is done it will auto reboot and you will have 4.4.2 on your device!

Step 30: Once you reboot, if you did the optional part, ignore this last step, otherwise, you need to install the 3.72 Safestrap version. Make sure to install Busybox from the Playstore as the new version of Safestrap requires it and not every ROM has it installed. First go into the older version of Safestrap and uninstall the recovery. Then install the newer version, make sure to allow unknown sources when it asks. Now you're done!

I usually don't make guides, but after all my terrible luck with this I felt it was necessary. Good luck and happy rooting!

Back to the Top

Questions: Step 16 you include the download of two JasmineROM files (N900VVRUCNC4.tar.md5.zip the ROM?) and (N900VVRUCNC4.zip the firmware for Odin?) If I wanted to use HD8, which ROM and firmware do you suggest? The Leaked version? Got a link to that?

QUestion: Why step 28 to repeat step 21&22, is that because firmware might be different? This leads me to think that like the JasmineROM you listed, maybe HD8 has a firmware version somewhere to use.

Thanks for the Great post

1st Q: You can just use the JasmineROM firmware for HD8, it's what I did when I first flashed HD8 onto my device and it worked flawlessly. And like I said, for some reason the firmware that was posted at a different location on XDA caused my HD8 to error out, so I just kept sticking with the JasmineROM stuff.

In short, use the JasmineROM 47MB firmware, I think it's somewhere around that size :confused:, Can't remember.

2nd Q: Basically Step 28 is putting the firmware onto your device again. You have to put the firmware onto your device every single time you flash a rom that is 4.4.2 onto your device. And no it isn't because it's different, it's just because for the ROM to run properly it just needs this firmware flashed every time. :)

dag nabbit!!

I already screwed up. I accidentally did a system "reboot" after step 18.

Step 18: This is important, under the Wipe section click Advanced and make sure to wipe system/data/dalvik/cache

I am guessing wiping system, the doing a system boot was a bad decision. What can I do now. Is there another way to get back into safestrap?

Crap!

dag nabbit!!

I already screwed up. I accidentally did a system "reboot" after step 18.

I am guessing wiping system, the doing a system boot was a bad decision. What can I do now. Is there another way to get back into safestrap?

Crap!

Basically you are kind of screwed unfortunately. Your only option is to flash the firmware, the 4.3 firmware, back onto your device and restart the whole process.

You can flash it by going into download mode, volume down, menu button, and power at the same time, then boot up odin on your PC and flash it over via the AP button in odin. You can find it here: Dev-Host - ALL_N900VVRUBMJE_N900VVZWMJE_2106277_REV03_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Basically you are kind of screwed unfortunately. Your only option is to flash the firmware, the 4.3 firmware, back onto your device and restart the whole process.

You can flash it by going into download mode, volume down, menu button, and power at the same time, then boot up odin on your PC and flash it over via the AP button in odin. You can find it here: Dev-Host - ALL_N900VVRUBMJE_N900VVZWMJE_2106277_REV03_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Thats essentially what I ended up doing. Learned a lot last night, though since I dont soft brick my phone often, I'll likely not remember what I did. I am up and running on HD8 with 4.4.3 now. Trying to figure out which if any of the samung and system apps are the same. so i might be able to restore the data via TBpro.

Thats essentially what I ended up doing. Learned a lot last night, though since I dont soft brick my phone often, I'll likely not remember what I did. I am up and running on HD8 with 4.4.3 now. Trying to figure out which if any of the samung and system apps are the same. so i might be able to restore the data via TBpro.

I know HD8 has a lot of the system apps that still come with the device originally.

One of the reasons I don't have it :p

1st Q: You can just use the JasmineROM firmware for HD8, it's what I did when I first flashed HD8 onto my device and it worked flawlessly. And like I said, for some reason the firmware that was posted at a different location on XDA caused my HD8 to error out, so I just kept sticking with the JasmineROM stuff.

In short, use the JasmineROM 47MB firmware, I think it's somewhere around that size :confused:, Can't remember.

2nd Q: Basically Step 28 is putting the firmware onto your device again. You have to put the firmware onto your device every single time you flash a rom that is 4.4.2 onto your device. And no it isn't because it's different, it's just because for the ROM to run properly it just needs this firmware flashed every time. :)

You say you have to flash the firmware every time you flash a ROM...is there not a permanent way to flash the firmware and make it stick.

in step 27 are you shutting the phone off and then starting it up again in download mode by holding down the volume down, menu button, and power at the same time? And then connecting the phone to the computer once it is in download mode?

Hmmm, guess this is a dead thread :(

I will chime in one more thing on this thread. This was one of the easiest upgrades I've ever done. I finally got time to do this last night. Nice job on the guide Digital Controller. Thanks for the hard work! Now I'm on 4.4.2 :)

It seems very fast and smooth.

Back
Top Bottom