• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] How to flash a kernel onto codename android rom

hurricane630

Oct 11, 2011
Greenville, SC
I flashed codename rom onto my phone the other day, I like it a lot! but I really want to get the 4.0.4 radios on this rom, and I also want to get a battery saving kernel on here as well. If someone could tell me 1. if I can do all of this together and 2. If you could give me directions to how 3. a link to the 4.0.4 radios only and 4. a link to a good(popular or just a good battery saving) kernel

Thank you very much!

I have also been reading the [How to] and I wasn't sure if I could flash a kernel on there the way it said since I have a rom or if I need to do it a special way. Thanks.

I flashed codename rom onto my phone the other day, I like it a lot! but I really want to get the 4.0.4 radios on this rom, and I also want to get a battery saving kernel on here as well. If someone could tell me 1. if I can do all of this together and 2. If you could give me directions to how 3. a link to the 4.0.4 radios only and 4. a link to a good(popular or just a good battery saving) kernel

Thank you very much!

I have also been reading the [How to] and I wasn't sure if I could flash a kernel on there the way it said since I have a rom or if I need to do it a special way. Thanks.

Sure you can. First make a backup. I even make a backup of my sdcard (copy all folders and paste on your PC). Better safe then sorry. Check Md5's of these downloads.

Download the 4.0.4 radio

I'd also grab the present radio you are on which is most likely 4.0.2 radio. To check what you presently have go to settings> about phone> baseband version should read:
I515.09 V.EK05 / I515.EK02
or it might have a .10 after the first I515 doesn't matter

Put them both on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and flash the 4.0.4 radio. Reboot. If you don't like it after testing it out then reboot into recovery and flash the 4.0.2 radio (assuming it is what you presently have). Don't accidentally flash the same radio atop another.

For the kernel, there are so many you'll have to test them and see what you like the most, which runs best on your phone and for your usage. To flash, download it and put on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and wipe dalvik cache, then flash kernel.

I'd do these radio/kernel flashes in 2 separate instances although it might be fine to do in one fail swoop. I like franco kernel, lean kernel, and faux's kernel. You can find links to them right here in this very forum gl!

Upvote 0
Sure you can. First make a backup. I even make a backup of my sdcard (copy all folders and paste on your PC). Better safe then sorry. Check Md5's of these downloads.

Download the 4.0.4 radio

I'd also grab the present radio you are on which is most likely 4.0.2 radio. To check what you presently have go to settings> about phone> baseband version should read:
I515.09 V.EK05 / I515.EK02
or it might have a .10 after the first I515 doesn't matter

Put them both on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and flash the 4.0.4 radio. Reboot. If you don't like it after testing it out then reboot into recovery and flash the 4.0.2 radio (assuming it is what you presently have). Don't accidentally flash the same radio atop another.

For the kernel, there are so many you'll have to test them and see what you like the most, which runs best on your phone and for your usage. To flash, download it and put on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and wipe dalvik cache, then flash kernel.

I'd do these radio/kernel flashes in 2 separate instances although it might be fine to do in one fail swoop. I like franco kernel, lean kernel, and faux's kernel. You can find links to them right here in this very forum gl!

I appreciate this!
But my baseband version is: I1515.09 V.FA02 / I515.FA02
Yours is EK mines FA...What is the difference? and Codename is running on 4.0.3, or at least mine is and I have the most recent codename(1.3.3)

Does this matter??

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I appreciate this!
But my baseband version is: I1515.09 V.FA02 / I515.FA02
Yours is EK mines FA...What is the difference? and Codename is running on 4.0.3, or at least mine is and I have the most recent codename(1.3.3)

Does this matter??

What that means is that you are already using the 4.0.4 radio :D

So you didn't flash that radio?

edit: disregard Mr Hurricane answered in following post :)

Reactions: hurricane630
Upvote 0
No, I never flashed that radio lol

I didn't want to do anything until I got an answer back haha but good to know codename is running the 4.0.4 radio :)!!

The first rom I flashed was the 4.0.4 stock rom, but I cleared that when I put the codename rom on. lol

Also Jbdan do you know if the Franco kernel works on codename? or do almost all kernels work on nearly any roms?

I was reading in the Franco kernel thread, and it was talking about the ability to overclock the processor, but that option is already in the codename rom, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up running these two together.

Upvote 0
No, I never flashed that radio lol

I didn't want to do anything until I got an answer back haha but good to know codename is running the 4.0.4 radio :)!!

The first rom I flashed was the 4.0.4 stock rom, but I cleared that when I put the codename rom on. lol

Oh well in that case that is why you are on the 4.0.4 radio. You got it when you flashed the stock 4.0.4 ROM. When you flashed CNA, you keep the radio. They do not change through ROM flashes UNLESS it is something unique like the 4.0.4 you flashed which DID include the .4 radio. You'll always remain on the .4 radio until you flash another radio.

Reactions: hurricane630
Upvote 0
Also Jbdan do you know if the Franco kernel works on codename? or do almost all kernels work on nearly any roms?

I was reading in the Franco kernel thread, and it was talking about the ability to overclock the processor, but that option is already in the codename rom, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up running these two together.

Yeah you can use any 4.0.3 kernel with CNA. Whether or not they will make you happy is up to your trial and error with them. I happen to really like franco's kernels, but my phone is picky and not all versions work like I want them to. 13.1 is what I've used since it dropped and still run it with AOKP. Check out the franco kernel thread here in this forum. I posted a link to "Previous Versions". =)

Upvote 0
I'm going to try 16.1 right now, and try 13.1 in a few days.

One last question. When I switch to 13.1 in a few days, what do I need to do(clear cache and all that??) can you please give directions to lol my first kernel attempt and only second rom so I'm very new to all this.

When your done trying out 16.1 download 13.1 and put on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and wipe dalvik cache then flash 13.1.

There are a few caveats to new users with most kernels...some parameters within the kernels like frequencies and governors. The best thing to do is to read/research them here and specifically XDA for franco's kernels, to make sure you set them up properly and get the most out of them. gl and fell free to ask if you're unsure of anything, we don't bite :D

Upvote 0
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my question is sort of related, and I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

I flashed my first ROM (AOKP M5) last week. I also flashed LeanKernel, and the new 4.04 Radios/Bootlader. When I am ready to flash a new ROM or Kernel, can I just flash the new ROM "over" the current ROM, or do I need to do some kind of "uninstall" procedure to the current ROM? Thanks in advance, I'm loving my rooted GNex!

Upvote 0
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my question is sort of related, and I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

I flashed my first ROM (AOKP M5) last week. I also flashed LeanKernel, and the new 4.04 Radios/Bootlader. When I am ready to flash a new ROM or Kernel, can I just flash the new ROM "over" the current ROM, or do I need to do some kind of "uninstall" procedure to the current ROM? Thanks in advance, I'm loving my rooted GNex!

I wouldn't install one ROM over another. I do a full wipe and start fresh. Most of ROM instructions tell you what needs to be wiped.

Reactions: NSutherl and jbdan
Upvote 0

I'm like my colleague dawn I like a full wipe :D

But you don't have to. Typically, if your flashing a newer version of the same ROM (aka AOKP B33 to AOKP B34) you can get away with a dirty wipe (wiping just dalvik and cache partition NO data). Then you have everything in place, all your apps, their data, contacts, sms, etc...

This isn't always true, you might run into bugs. What you NEED to do, imo, is always make a backup, BEFORE you do any kind of flashing. This holds true for themes, kernels, roms, you name it. This extra 5 minutes out of your life can save a heck of a lot of headaches.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0
I'm like my colleague dawn I like a full wipe :D

But you don't have to. Typically, if your flashing a newer version of the same ROM (aka AOKP B33 to AOKP B34) you can get away with a dirty wipe (wiping just dalvik and cache partition NO data). Then you have everything in place, all your apps, their data, contacts, sms, etc...

This isn't always true, you might run into bugs. What you NEED to do, imo, is always make a backup, BEFORE you do any kind of flashing. This holds true for themes, kernels, roms, you name it. This extra 5 minutes out of your life can save a heck of a lot of headaches.

I agree with always backing up. There's really just no point in NOT backing up before any change. Plus, it's so much more relaxing knowing that you can go back to numerous points in your phone's development.

When you wipe data from ClockworkMod Recovery (not just cache and dalvik), what all does it clear? I think I may understand, I just like to KNOW these things, not guess :)

I think I need to get away from thinking that the zip file of the ROM on the SD Card IS the ROM after you've flashed it. Once you flash a ROM from SD Card, the ROM no longer "needs" the zip file anymore, right? It's probably a good idea to keep it on there for recovery/backup purposes, I'd imagine. But a full data wipe must clear any of the ROM's info the phone was using "internally" to run the ROM.

Thanks again for all the help so far and in the future.

Upvote 0
I agree with always backing up. There's really just no point in NOT backing up before any change. Plus, it's so much more relaxing knowing that you can go back to numerous points in your phone's development.

1) When you wipe data from ClockworkMod Recovery (not just cache and dalvik), what all does it clear? I think I may understand, I just like to KNOW these things, not guess :)

I think I need to get away from thinking that the zip file of the ROM on the SD Card IS the ROM after you've flashed it. 2) Once you flash a ROM from SD Card, the ROM no longer "needs" the zip file anymore, right? It's probably a good idea to keep it on there for recovery/backup purposes, I'd imagine. But a full data wipe must clear any of the ROM's info the phone was using "internally" to run the ROM.

Thanks again for all the help so far and in the future.

1) It clears everything (iirc everything but dalvik)

2) Correct. You've already installed what is inside the .zip to your internal drive. You could keep it on your sdcard if you'd like to reflash again. Other than reflashing it really serves no purpose but to take up space on your sdcard.

Your phone has internal drive and a virtual sdcard drive. Think of it as having 2 hard drives like a PC. Even though they are both internal, they are seen as separate. One called internal and the other called sdcard.

When you do a full wipe it only affects the data on your internal drive. Nothing on the virtual drive which we are calling the sdcard. Hope this helps, this is not fact, just how I understand it :)

Upvote 0
1) It clears everything (iirc everything but dalvik)

2) Correct. You've already installed what is inside the .zip to your internal drive. You could keep it on your sdcard if you'd like to reflash again. Other than reflashing it really serves no purpose but to take up space on your sdcard.

Your phone has internal drive and a virtual sdcard drive. Think of it as having 2 hard drives like a PC. Even though they are both internal, they are seen as separate. One called internal and the other called sdcard.

When you do a full wipe it only affects the data on your internal drive. Nothing on the virtual drive which we are calling the sdcard. Hope this helps, this is not fact, just how I understand it :)

This makes sense. Your explanation matches my (limited) understanding.

Do you happen to know what else is stored in the internal partition of the memory? AKA what gets wiped in a wipe data? I know you said "everything", do you know specifically what else is included in that? Clearly, we know any data related to running a ROM is in there. How about app data, text messages, call history, etc. I've only done a full data wipe once (when I flashed my first ROM), and that came right after I unlocked the bootloader (so my phone was completely blank anyways).

As always, thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm prying, I just really want to know more about our awesome phones :D

Upvote 0

Do you happen to know what else is stored in the internal partition of the memory? AKA what gets wiped in a wipe data? I know you said "everything", do you know specifically what else is included in that? Clearly, we know any data related to running a ROM is in there. How about app data, text messages, call history, etc. I've only done a full data wipe once (when I flashed my first ROM), and that came right after I unlocked the bootloader (so my phone was completely blank anyways).

As always, thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm prying, I just really want to know more about our awesome phones :D

a full wipe in CWM will get rid of all app data, text messages, and call history. any files you have added to the phone (pictures, videos, music, etc.) will remain.

Upvote 0

Ask away, pry, it's all good :)

I can't answer you because I don't know exactly. But there are many here who do. I'll give you my understanding of it.

Say you have a desktop PC. In it you have 2 hard drives. A flash drive/SSD for your OS and a HDD hard drive for all your pictures, music, videos. You need to reformat your SSD because Windows 7 got borked with spyware and virus's. So you format it and re-install Win7 and your machine flies again! Anything that was on that SSD was lost and now you have a fresh install with no data....until you start dnld'ing all the updates right! :D

Some app data is stored on your sdcard. ie my titanium license, nova launcher, etc... paid app licenses are on my sdcard. You can navigate with root explorer or on your PC through the folders on your sdcard and see all the data there. Things like gallery thumbnail cache, genie widget, titanium backups, zedge cache, wallbase cache, google+, there is all kind of stuff on your sdcard. Photos and screen shots are stored on your sdcard. Same with music. I don't really know the protocol on what coordinates what goes where and why. I just know how it works from being rooted and on Android for a couple years

Every so often, before a new ROM flash, I actually go through my sdcard and delete all those cache's and folders and crap that apps created that I don't need to keep it clean and organized. I'm anal like that :p

Upvote 0
Ask away, pry, it's all good :)

I can't answer you because I don't know exactly. But there are many here who do. I'll give you my understanding of it.

Say you have a desktop PC. In it you have 2 hard drives. A flash drive/SSD for your OS and a HDD hard drive for all your pictures, music, videos. You need to reformat your SSD because Windows 7 got borked with spyware and virus's. So you format it and re-install Win7 and your machine flies again! Anything that was on that SSD was lost and now you have a fresh install with no data....until you start dnld'ing all the updates right! :D

Some app data is stored on your sdcard. ie my titanium license, nova launcher, etc... paid app licenses are on my sdcard. You can navigate with root explorer or on your PC through the folders on your sdcard and see all the data there. Things like gallery thumbnail cache, genie widget, titanium backups, zedge cache, wallbase cache, google+, there is all kind of stuff on your sdcard. Photos and screen shots are stored on your sdcard. Same with music. I don't really know the protocol on what coordinates what goes where and why. I just know how it works from being rooted and on Android for a couple years

Every so often, before a new ROM flash, I actually go through my sdcard and delete all those cache's and folders and crap that apps created that I don't need to keep it clean and organized. I'm anal like that :p

I'm the same way :D Some call it anal, I call it organized...haha. For example, I've been keeping a log of all my NANDroid backups so if (when) things go wrong, I can easily look back and say, "Oh, it looks like NANDroid backup 2012-05-08.18.45.13 was running smoothly and had all my app data and ROM customized just the way I like it." Also, I NANDroid after basically EVERYTHING and just store them on my PC, with just a few key NANDroids on the phone ICE. Just a little piece of mind that gives me the confidence to keep playing with my phone :D

This is all really good info. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I'm the same way :D Some call it anal, I call it organized...haha. For example, I've been keeping a log of all my NANDroid backups so if (when) things go wrong, I can easily look back and say, "Oh, it looks like NANDroid backup 2012-05-08.18.45.13 was running smoothly and had all my app data and ROM customized just the way I like it." Also, I NANDroid after basically EVERYTHING and just store them on my PC, with just a few key NANDroids on the phone ICE. Just a little piece of mind that gives me the confidence to keep playing with my phone :D

This is all really good info. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Hah I do the same with my "log" lol! I have hundreds on my PC from my Inc.

As they say at Chick-fil-A, it's my pleasure. =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones