• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] I give up - unlocking will not work

DoctorEyeSight

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2012
I used Galaxy Nexus Root Tool Kit V 1.3.

I had my phone unplugged. Installed the drivers that came with the tool kit. Plugged my phone in (windows 7) and then it was recognized! yay! :) It showed a serial number.

Great............

Now, I get to the Rebootloader screen and on the PC it says that i should see a screen that titles "unlock" and I should press the volume up and power button....I DO NOT SEE THIS SCREEN, even though my phone is connect and drivers are working perfectly.

I then try this on windows Xp - NOTHING

I then download other drives - pdanet, DB/FB Driver Naked Samsung Driver 1.7, and SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.4.8.0.exe

And guess what?

SAME PROBLEM. I cannot unlock it. I have the verizon LTE version.

Seriously, what's going on? It's not my computer, my PC is working fine, I tried on two PC's by now.

I used Galaxy Nexus Root Tool Kit V 1.3.

I had my phone unplugged. Installed the drivers that came with the tool kit. Plugged my phone in (windows 7) and then it was recognized! yay! :) It showed a serial number.

Great............

Now, I get to the Rebootloader screen and on the PC it says that i should see a screen that titles "unlock" and I should press the volume up and power button....I DO NOT SEE THIS SCREEN, even though my phone is connect and drivers are working perfectly.

I then try this on windows Xp - NOTHING

I then download other drives - pdanet, DB/FB Driver Naked Samsung Driver 1.7, and SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.4.8.0.exe

And guess what?

SAME PROBLEM. I cannot unlock it. I have the verizon LTE version.

Seriously, what's going on? It's not my computer, my PC is working fine, I tried on two PC's by now.

I am going to stop you right there and make a broad (possibly wrong but better said than unsaid) statement.

If, when you said rebootloader, you meant it and that was not a typo, you need to stop. Now. Read more. You do NOT know enough to be doing this.

Go to the guides and memorize them. Even though the GNex is hard to brick, you are playing with system level files, and any tampering with them is not to be taken lightly.

I say this not to be a jerk, but because I have seen many people on this forum jump into something by just following the guide and then later they have a problem and have no idea how to even approach it. The people here are always willing to help, but it takes 10 times as long to get an answer than to solve it if you know the solution.

As for the drivers working, how do you know? What is the output of "fastboot devices" when your phone is connected and in fastboot mode? You said it says on the PC that you get a screen. I may be wrong, but I never remember any prompt in the terminal telling me about this screen after I typed "fastboot oem unlock". Is it the terminal that says this?

-Nkk

Reactions: wysts43
Upvote 0
I think im going to have to agree with nkk. Rooting should not be taken lightly, and you should understand exactly what you are doing before you dive in. I'd hate to see something bad happen to your new toy. If you are looking for something to help you customize, try Nova launcher first. No rooting and it gives you tons of options. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I had this same problem using the 1 click method. When I got to the screen that did the fast boot I had to open up the device manager on my computer and uninstall all the unknown devices and then find the one called galaxy and manually install the drivers. Then it worked fine. Took me a while to figure out though.

Upvote 0
On the phone goto the bootloader. If you already have the fast boot drivers on your machine, you might get by with rebooting your PC now while connected to the phone. If not, you'll have to manually update the driver in device manager while actively in the bootloader on the phone.

There's also some instructs at the following link but that feels like work to me:
Manual Driver Configuration | WugFresh

Personally, I prefer updating drivers by way of device manager with the driver file located on my desktop.

Upvote 0
On the phone goto the bootloader. If you already have the fast boot drivers on your machine, you might get by with rebooting your PC now while connected to the phone. If not, you'll have to manually update the driver in device manager while actively in the bootloader on the phone.

There's also some instructs at the following link but that feels like work to me:
Manual Driver Configuration | WugFresh

Personally, I prefer updating drivers by way of device manager with the driver file located on my desktop.

Just re-installed pdanet 64 bit driver, and I go to device manager and i see only SAMSUNG Android ADB interface.

I am using windows 7 with vzw gnexus

Upvote 0
The benefit is that if there's a new version of cwr released, he doesn't have to scramble to update the toolkit in order for you to be on the most recent recovery available. You'll probably end up with the same version but its a good lesson on how to reflash recovery the "easy way" so when there is a new cwr available, you'll be ready to snag it. Goes without saying but be sure to choose the cdma option when reflashing. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point. Its the upper most option in rom manager btw.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones