• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Is Practice Rooting Devices Needed?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
I need to root my GNex, but I'm afraid of messing it up as this would be my first root attempt. Would you suggest practicing on my OG Droid to get a feel for the process? Or is the process totally different between the two devices that any practice would not be useful?

The process is very different between devices. Also, the OG Droid would be rooted via a hack, whereas the GNex is very simple as you are installing SU and some binaries. I'll find a simple tutorial for you and post back.

The process is usually different between devices. The best thing to do is read the root instructions a few times and ask any questions if you are not 100% confident you understand the process.

One question for you though. Why do you "need" to root your phone?

ouch1976,
I forgot to ask, are you VZW or GSM. I don't think there is a difference, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Good question...I bought a used phone from Craigslist. The seller never mentioned that it was unlocked and/or rooted and I didn't check before buying it. When I got it home and booted up, I noticed the unlocked symbol on the startup screen. And there's a SU icon in the app drawer. Yet, when I run Root Checker, it says that I don't have proper root. So it appears that they rooted and attempted to unroot the device but didn't do it properly. So, I would like to get it rooted properly just in case I ever have to send it back to VZW and I can restore it back to the original image. Does that make sense or should I just forget about it?

makes sense, I'll be back:) The unlocked thing is your bootloader, having it unlocked allows you to load custom kernels.

I've read a bunch and watched some videos which make it look super easy, but I'm still scared. At least the bootloader is unlocked so that saves me a step. And I read somewhere that once the bootloader is unlocked, it's very difficult to brick your phone...does that sound right?

Don't be worried just be cautious. Post back here with any questions and I'll help. Once I am back at a computer I'll move this thread to that forum so other gnex folks can help too :)

edit:
I have moved this to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus - All things root forum as the discussion has become specific to rooting that phone.

don't be scared to root. i waited for a long time with my dinc and regretted waiting once i finally broke down. rooted the gnex within the first week very easily. plus, once you put 4.04 on there you will be amazed at the difference from 4.02 and be very happy you did. just follow the instructions and you will be fine

Just read up on google concerning root of your device. Read from a few sources as there may be outdated or newer more common ways of rooting. Superoneclick works well on PC. A quick google found this.

While you're looking you could find the software for flashing a full rom (custom or stock) to your device, so if you screw up (unlikely) you can go back to square one. You'll also need the PC drivers & the actual rom you want to flash.

But do keep reading until you feel confident enough!

Back
Top Bottom