• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon TS, Roaming Charges & Notifications

monicakm

Android Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2012
We are on an old Alltel plan that carried over to Verizon when they bought Alltel.
We went out of state this last weekend and I was trying to figure out if we would be roaming. I reached ts twice. Tried 20 times but kept getting dropped or just had no service at all in the mountains. The first ts agent said she didn't "think" we would be roaming. :thinking:

There were no notification icons, I could find no instructions on the phone (Razr) to configure an alert to roaming charges. I googled it and still couldn't come to a conclusion. Installed an app called "Real Roaming Alarm", that didn't ever indicate we were roaming. So I'm fairly certain we weren't.

Finally, the day we left to come home, I reached ts again and this time was told yes, if we left Texas, we were roaming but no charges for data usage.

Called ts today (from home) to verify we were, or weren't roaming. Was told we were. Complained that there was no indication on our phones that we were. I was told I'd have a R with a circle around it on the Razr. I did not and that my husband's Casio G'zone would have a triangle icon. It did not. I asked ts to find MY plan map on their site and email me the link. She couldn't find it and said "just call us before you leave" :mad:

WHERE on my Rzar is there a place for me to check if I want to be alerted to roaming fees. TS said that I can only program it to alert me to roamin charges if I'm out of the country. The Alltel maps on the alltel website are out of date and when I enter my zipcode says they don't cover that area.
How can they charge me for roaming fees if their phone wont' show me if I'm roaming. And why can't they provide a map for Alltel customers that are grandfathered in on their service?

Monica

going play devil's advocate here --

if you have that old of a plan that you're localized instead of national, I'd would dare to say it's up to you to know your coverage. I'll give credit that there should be more of a roaming indicator, but with the last 5+ years of having a national plan there's really no excuses...

btw, I think the indicator is more of a roaming off of verizon's network and not just roaming within your plan coverage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones