• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] What Is Rooting/ROMming?

Dankees

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2011
So, I am getting sick of running my stock phone and I am ready for 4.0.4 - but I have questions.

So, I have some questions. What is rooting? What is a ROM?

What are my risks?

Will all of my applications work?

Can I still use Go Launcher?

What are the benefits/risks?

So, I am getting sick of running my stock phone and I am ready for 4.0.4 - but I have questions.

So, I have some questions. What is rooting? What is a ROM?

What are my risks?

Will all of my applications work?

Can I still use Go Launcher?

What are the benefits/risks?

I'd start here and here. I also found this post helpful. It goes over a lot of the basics. I used Wug's Toolkit to root, and it was easy and seems nearly foolproof. Some here will shun using a toolkit because it works kind of like a black box, where you don't know what it is doing on a code level. This was exactly what I needed, as I had no experience with adb, Android SDK, fastboot, or even using commands in general. In the end, it's up you and how involved you want to be in the actual rooting of the phone on a code level.

Applications will all work and can even be there after unlocking your bootloader (which wipes EVERYTHING from the phone, including whats on the SD Card partition), assuming you back them up properly. Wug's Toolkit has an option to backup and restore Apps + Data pre-root, so you can restore them post-root.

From the Android Central link, "To put it simply, a rom is an image of an operating system, almost always a derivative of the "latest" version of Android, that has been developed, modified, customized, streamlined, massaged, fattened, and pampered by a developer or team of developers."

You can still use GoLauncher and other third party launcher apps.

The benefits are a-plenty. You are already know you can get the most up-to-date versions of Android before the OTA comes. Some ROMs are based off 4.04, so just by flashing one them, your version becomes 4.04. You can make all kinds of UI tweaks that launchers can't do, allowing you to dial in the phone just how you want. Custom Kernels (and even the kernels that come with ROMs) have huge battery-saving potential.

The risks are obvious, with the worst-case being hard-bricking your phone, where you mess something up on a deep enough level that your phone won't turn on or respond enough to even restore it back to its original factory state. By doing a TON of research and reading a lot of posts like the one I linked above, you can go from knowing nothing to being able to safely flash ROMs, kernels, radios, and even have some useful input.

Upvote 0
What are toolkits, kernels, bootloaders?

I know nothing. How does one pick a ROM?

What is rooting?

Wug's tool kit is essentially your one stop shop that takes care of unlocking/relocking, rooting/unrooting, temporary flashing of clockworkmod recovery, and returning completely to stock if need be. Be aware that unlocking your bootloader, will completely wipe your phone, but the tool kit has yet another helpful option to backup all apps with user data to help you make it as painless as possible.

As for picking roms, you have to ask yourself if you want a rom as close to stock vanilla or one with plenty of options to customize. Different people will recommend different roms because ultimately it comes down to what you want. Just remember that whenever you change roms that you clear data in Google wallet to avoid fubaring the secure element, and make a nandroid in clockwork mod to return to in case things get messed up.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0
I think the biggest thing you need to consider at the moment is that if you unlock your bootloader and root now it's going to wipe your phone. Completely.

As for picking a Rom i would suggest something like Redemption Rom or B.A.M.F to start with because those are very close to stock with just good optimization built in and maybe a few tweaks. Then you could go for something like AOKP.

Rooting: rooting your phone means giving yourself root, or superuser (think...admin) access, giving you access to system files and the ability to change things that normally are marked read only

This allows you to change all kinds of things that normally you wouldn't be able to, along with install custom versions of Android.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones