• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Which ROM is better...

AOKP or Code Name Android?

Also, which kernel should I download to go alone with each one?

Better is really a subjective thing and the answer you will get will be purely that person's opinion :)

My suggestion would be to try both and see which you prefer. Also try different kernels to check them out. The two most popular kernels seem to be leankernel and franco, but there are a slew of them out there!

Personally, I love AOKP. I'm running b26 along with the 2.2.0 LeanKernel. But that's just my preference, the only way you can answer your question is to try them and see which you find better :)

Reactions: DoctorEyeSight
Upvote 0
Better is really a subjective thing and the answer you will get will be purely that person's opinion :)

My suggestion would be to try both and see which you prefer. Also try different kernels to check them out. The two most popular kernels seem to be leankernel and franco, but there are a slew of them out there!

Personally, I love AOKP. I'm running b26 along with the 2.2.0 LeanKernel. But that's just my preference, the only way you can answer your question is to try them and see which you find better :)

Is it easy to switch from ROM to ROM? If you can explain how please.

Upvote 0
i prefer codename, but i understand why others like AOKP. switching between ROMs is fairly simple. download the ROM .zip file, boot into clockwork recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik, and then load the .zip file you just downloaded. more detailed instructions can be found here:

http://androidforums.com/3736602-post10.html

also, i am moving this to the all things root section. :cool:

Upvote 0
Is it easy to switch from ROM to ROM? If you can explain how please.

There are ways to install ROMs and switch between them easily with some apps, but to do so manually, all you have to do is follow the process to flash the ROM like your normally would. Remember to do a nandroid (backup) from CWM recovery before you flash a new ROM and once you have backups of the two, you can just do a restore from CWM or ROM Manager, etc to "toggle" between the two.

Keep in mind the contents of the sdcard will remain intact, but since you will need to do a full wipe between ROMs, your app settings would get wiped, too. Of course, your data/settings/etc will all be intact with the backups, but for when you flash the 2nd ROM, you should use something like titanium backup to backup your apps and their data. The wifi passwords and other google settings should be restored as long as you selected to backup the phone and restore it, but the other apps you'll want to backup with titanium backup or similar. And don't forget to use something like sms backup and restore to save your texts (if you care about 'em).

Upvote 0
i prefer codename, but i understand why others like AOKP. switching between ROMs is fairly simple. download the ROM .zip file, boot into clockwork recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik, and then load the .zip file you just downloaded. more detailed instructions can be found here:

http://androidforums.com/3736602-post10.html

also, i am moving this to the all things root section. :cool:

I see, thanks. I want to update to the latest android version, and then I want to load codename...I don't see the clockwork recovery app on my AOKP app as I didn't install the AOKP rom correctly, it missed the gapps file. Do you know how I can do this, should I first get the ROM in or the new android version in for verizon LTE?

Upvote 0
I see, thanks. I want to update to the latest android version, and then I want to load codename...I don't see the clockwork recovery app on my AOKP app as I didn't install the AOKP rom correctly, it missed the gapps file. Do you know how I can do this, should I first get the ROM in or the new android version in for verizon LTE?

to get into clockwork recovery, power down your phone, then hold volume + and - while powering on. once it has booted to the green android screen, scroll with the volume arrows until you see "recovery" then press power to select. if clockwork is installed correctly, you will now have a menu that looks like this:

clockwork-recovery-galaxy-nexus-650x432.jpg

if you are going to load codename/AOKP, there is no sense in loading 4.0.4 first. codename/AOKP are currently based on 4.0.3, and upon flashing them you would lose any of the changes made by loading stock 4.0.4.

Upvote 0
if you are going to load codename/AOKP, there is no sense in loading 4.0.4 first. codename/AOKP are currently based on 4.0.3, and upon flashing them you would lose any of the changes made by loading stock 4.0.4.

I've just said exactly this in another thread. There are about a dozen threads scattered across the GNex subforums, all started by this same person and asking basically the same questions.

Upvote 0
I've just said exactly this in another thread. There are about a dozen threads scattered across the GNex subforums, all started by this same person and asking basically the same questions.

don't be afraid of the report button. that's what it is there for. ;)

i know "report" has a negative connotation to many people, but it really should be used to draw things like multiple threads on the same subject to a moderator's attention. i am going to look for the threads in question now, but feel free to report if you already know where they are. :)

Upvote 0
to get into clockwork recovery, power down your phone, then hold volume + and - while powering on. once it has booted to the green android screen, scroll with the volume arrows until you see "recovery" then press power to select. if clockwork is installed correctly, you will now have a menu that looks like this:

clockwork-recovery-galaxy-nexus-650x432.jpg

I saw it, so I'll try to follow the steps and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Yes, I asked about the 4.0.4 question to you and here, but I had also asked about codename, and okay, I'm new here, gosh, take it easy buddy Lol:) But thanks for all the help, it means so much to me.

Upvote 0
Alrighty, I downloaded the codename android and sucessfully installed lean kernel onto my 4.0.3 android version Gnexus verizon LTE.

1) So, can someone help and explain how I can extend battery life now?

2) How can I make the CPU faster, but something SAFE, don't want to damage the hardware.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Upvote 0
In general, you can have one or the other. Usually, the faster the CPU runs, the less battery life you get.

However, leankernel is pretty slick, and can give you a bit of both.

I don't know if Codename has a built-in performance manager or not. In AOKP, it's in my settings under ROM Control, so you can check whatever the equivalent is in Codename for performance/overclocking/undervolting. If there's nothing in there, you need an app. I use SetCPU, which I think is $2-$3 in the Market, and is the one you'll see most people use.

Regardless of whether it's built in or an app, you'll have a few options. On leankernel stable, you can overclock to 1350 MHz. The Experimental versions have higher overclock slots, but they're not stable for every phone. You can also choose a governor. I use interactivex, which gets me great battery life. The kernel comes already undervolted compared to stock, so I don't undervolt it anymore. Some people do, but you have to be cautious until you figure out what your phone can handle.

The most important thing is NOT to choose "Set on Boot" for any changes you make until you have run them for a couple of days to make sure they're stable on your phone. This is how people get stuck in bootloops or "brick" their devices.

All that being said, just giving leankernel a couple of days to settle in might be enough to dramatically improve your battery life, without doing anything else to it.

Upvote 0
Hi, I want to offer you some good and friendly advice, I have been using Android rooted for a few years now, and I overclock.

So, here's the thing. You're new to Android, cool, and you're excited about your Nexus, cool, and you've rooted, cool.

If I were you, I would take a week using your new rom. Learn Android. Learn the features of this rom.

Learn what your battery life is, you just installed new software so there's no way you know.

Learn how fast your phone is, same as above.

You seem to be approaching this as a defective phone that you have to rush in and fix right away - it's not and you don't.

I am not being the least bit judgemental or coming down on you personally. I think that you will find that I have experience hereabouts to tell you that I know how you feel. I've worked with others who have felt the same way. They found that I was right, while those that didn't follow my advice ended up with very messed up phones from changing too many things too soon without really having a solid feel for what they working with.

No one here has ever once complained that I have steered them wrong in these matters. In other words, if you slow down you'll reach phone nirvana faster. In fact, you may be there without knowing it.

That said, you do as you think best.

Upvote 0
Are there major differences between Codename and AOKP? There aren't any clear-cut features lists for them, I just find a bunch of people liking one or the other more. I used CA for a few days and have been using AOKP for a few weeks now.

I've been using AOKP from the start, so I can't offer a direct comparison. My understanding is that CA doesn't really contain any original code, it's just a conglomeration of features from other ROMs. So that means that changes are probably going to come to AOKP first, as Roman and Team Kang are the ones writing the code. But CA may include features you like from other ROMs as well.

Upvote 0
The whole dev community is scattershot, I wish there was more organization and explanation, rather than a lot of "try it and see." :/

Yeah, I think the closest they come most of the time is with the change log. And that's enough if you're already on the ROM and just trying to decide whether to update to the new build, because you already know what it does...but trying to read through the logs for ten builds and compare them to another ROM is virtually impossible

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The whole dev community is scattershot, I wish there was more organization and explanation, rather than a lot of "try it and see." :/

Welcome to the forums!

Scattershot, eh? :)

Well, maybe a little. With open source, nearly anyone can cook up a ROM quickly, and quite a few do it simply because they can. Then comes those who have different ideas and approaches. Sometimes, you can see them posting to each other and exchanging ideas.

Best we can do as a community is to work together and maybe build a features comparisons thread. We have one or two here that seem to be off to a good start on that.

Cheers! :)

Upvote 0

Well, these guys are often doing this out of the goodness of their hearts in the hopes of getting donations or earning some respect in the community (and for the young 'uns, a resume builder). Additionally, despite the fragmentation of the dev community, I believe the competition begets advancements and cool features that neither google nor the companies skinning android have the time for.

Yeah, it would be nice if there was something more organized, but without a very controlled organizational structure, a larger group would probably result in more bureaucracy and slow down the releases (and probably reduce some of the features we are enjoying).

No, it's not perfect, but the best thing we can do is speak with our wallets and reward those who do work we enjoy. That, and spread the word about it. Quite frankly, I had only known stock sense and cyanogenmod 7 on my dinc, so naturally I was just going to wait for cm9 as it's what I knew. Luckily, I took the plunge and tried out AOKP and I think I'm sold. cm9 will be great at some point, I'm sure, but AOKP has way more features and the devs are a bit more laid back (based purely on irc experience in both channels).

Reactions: quiklives
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones