• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Veterans Day 2023

olbriar

Today is designated as a day to honor our Veterans that served to preserve our way of life. I would like to thank every Vet that sacrificed their time, and for many their lives, so that I can live in a free country. Thank you for your service seems far too little to offer in return.
af73cbd3-d3dd-47de-9c8c-1338810e03b0_1140x641.jpg

Hopefully that cemetery is serviced each December by Wreaths Across America. We work to identify the grave of every veteran, in every cemetery; then lay a real evergreen wreath on the grave and SAY THEIR NAME aloud. It's said that a person has two deaths... the first when they depart their body, the second the last time anyone says their name. At that point, they are lost to living memory & history. We make it a point to continue honoring veterans long gone by saying their name... even if we didn't know them.

Thank you, @AugieTN - I had the privilege of delivering FDR's June 6, 1944 D-Day radio address and prayer for the nation as part of the ceremony. I didn't want to read it: I was determined to recite it. For two weeks I worked on memorizing it, listening to his original radio address to add his Harvard inflection, and channeling his somber sincerity. It really moved the audience and I hope it touched the many young people in attendance.

my dad was a Navy vet who fought in the Korean war. he has past on a while ago, but the cemetery he is in always puts a flag on his grave for Veterans Day. I will probably go and visit him after dinner today.

If he's interred in a National cemetery that would be common. My father served in both Korea and Vietnam. I've no idea if his name is mentioned as stated by the Chief. I've known many a good soldier and many good men (people). Sometimes the soldier returns but the man is gone, never to return from the field.

My father served in WWII and is buried in a local cemetery. There is a granite plaque stating his name and service at his grave and there is always a flag. I honestly don't know but I assume the local VFW is responsible for both.

Sometimes the soldier returns but the man is gone, never to return from the field.
That all depends on the character of the man who put on the uniform. I know a lot of people, myself included, who left the service more of a man than when we went in.

As a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars, I have found that 'combat experience" is different for everyone who was in combat: yet I have the utmost respect for all who served. We share an immediate bond with each other, and that's a huge help for those with war wounds... both seen and unseen.

:)

That all depends on the character of the man who put on the uniform. I know a lot of people, myself included, who left the service more of a man than when we went in.

As a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars, I have found that 'combat experience" is different for everyone who was in combat: yet I have the utmost respect for all who served. We share an immediate bond with each other, and that's a huge help for those with war wounds... both seen and unseen.

:)

Something that @The_Chief mentioned in his post that really hit home with me, was the bond he mentioned with others. You develop a camaraderie, a trust like you have never felt before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom