• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Viber saving duplicates photos/videos when enabling "Save to Gallery"

jpe3

Lurker
As the title says, this issue has been on-going since who knows how long, i only noticed it recently though.

If you enable the "Save to Gallery" option under Storage & Media in settings, it auto saves the photos and videos in the following places:
storage/emulated/0/viber/media/Viber Images
storage/emulated/0/viber/media/Viber Videos
Which we all know this always saved there.

Now in addition Viber also creates a "viber" folder with the duplicates under:
storage/emulated/0/Pictures/viber (for images)
storage/emulated/0/Movies/viber (for videos)

Now here is the other messed up issue, if i disable the "Save to Gallery" option, Viber automatically changes the folders below to Hidden in my gallery (with a dot infront), i change it back but then i dont get duplicates in my gallery anymore, everything goes in(if i click on the media):
storage/emulated/0/viber/media/Viber Images
storage/emulated/0/viber/media/Viber Videos

BUT the issue then arises when i want to send a photo or video WITHIN the viber "gallery" message, the photos ive received during having disabled the "Save to Gallery" option are no longer showing in there. I have to then go to my gallery and then "Share" the photo.

This is a very annoying problem to have and its taking up space on peoples phones by duplicating photos and causing issues. I am really surprised no one has noticed this.

Ive tested this on 2 phones so far and a friend noticed the same thing.

I hope Viber can see this issue, reproduce and fix it.

To @ViberMedia, i dont have the time to file a bug report with Viber. This is happening on all types of android phones. Please please fix this!

Welcome to Android Forums, jpe3! :)

Have you verified that these 'duplicates' are actual files, not symbolic links? If they really are files, taking up double space, and you're unable to change this behavior via the app's settings, you should file a bug report.

It's unlikely that anyone associated with Viber will see, or act on, your comments here.
To @ViberMedia, i dont have the time to file a bug report with Viber. This is happening on all types of android phones. Please please fix this!
Unfortunately, it's been 5 years since that member last visited.

If Viber has social media accounts--that are active--you can try reaching out to them that way. But, really, an official bug report is the best way to handle this kind of issue.

Back
Top Bottom