• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Vibration Level...can it be changed? Higher or lower?

carlz28

I searched around for a bit and came up with nothing exactly like what I'm asking here.
I also figured I'd ask in this forum because I am pretty sure that IF this is possible, you'd have to be rooted in order to make changes in /system (pretty sure thats where it would be modified, not 100% sure though).

Basically, as the thread title states, is there a way to change the level of intensity of the vibration? If so, would this be set in an .apk file?

Sometimes I get different levels of vibration. I'm pretty sure it's just a fluke when it does happen though. Also, a while back when trying out Koush's Cyanogen ROM, I noticed all vibrations were stronger than other ROMs. I think I read that that was actually a bug somewhere. It may/may not have been fixed in subsequent releases. But not sure as I haven't been using Koush's work for some time now.

I also know a few apps can change the time and/or pattern of vibration...
i.e Handcent can make short long, long long, short long short long...etc...or even you own custom pattern.
But no actual vibration 'strength' changes.
This would be pretty cool if perhaps the app 'Spare Parts' had this option.

Anybody with a clue as to where to begin looking for this? Possibilities of changing it?
Maybe make a script to run? Anything?

P.S. As an added thought, being an electrician, I'm almost thinking that in order to change this 'level of strength', there would have to be some kind of increased voltage change to the vibrating mechanism. Not sure what it is in the Droid as I have never taken one apart, but an old phone I took apart for shits & giggles revealed the vibrating thingy was just a little off-balanced weight on a motor that spun fast when vibration was called for.

P.S. As an added thought, being an electrician, I'm almost thinking that in order to change this 'level of strength', there would have to be some kind of increased voltage change to the vibrating mechanism. Not sure what it is in the Droid as I have never taken one apart, but an old phone I took apart for shits & giggles revealed the vibrating thingy was just a little off-balanced weight on a motor that spun fast when vibration was called for.[/quote]
Tear it apart then and epoxy a little more weight to the off balanced weight.Thats all i can think of off hand.

Not quite sure if this counts as "level of intensity", but the phone has far more vibration support than the default apps support.

There is an app called Missed Call which exposes all this. I used to use it to do a repeated vibration pattern when I had a missed call or unread text message.

The app allows you to set to type of vibration to use. The options were Long, short, Long-short-Long, etc.

The default short vibration that most apps provide is almost totally useless when you have the phone in the holster and you're walking around, and just want the phone to vibrate and not have a ringtone go off. Cuz you can't feel it.

but when I used the Long pulses in Missed Call, I totally felt it every time.

Again, not sure this is what you mean, cuz you probably want the phone to jump around or something. But the OS definitely supports setting the length of the vibration when you make call to the API method. The longer the vibration, the more I became aware of it.

Edit: Nevermind, guess I should have read your whole post before posting...guess you already figured the pulses out.

Joe

Not quite sure if this counts as "level of intensity", but the phone has far more vibration support than the default apps support.

There is an app called Missed Call which exposes all this. I used to use it to do a repeated vibration pattern when I had a missed call or unread text message.

The app allows you to set to type of vibration to use. The options were Long, short, Long-short-Long, etc.

The default short vibration that most apps provide is almost totally useless when you have the phone in the holster and you're walking around, and just want the phone to vibrate and not have a ringtone go off. Cuz you can't feel it.

but when I used the Long pulses in Missed Call, I totally felt it every time.

Again, not sure this is what you mean, cuz you probably want the phone to jump around or something. But the OS definitely supports setting the length of the vibration when you make call to the API method. The longer the vibration, the more I became aware of it.

Edit: Nevermind, guess I should have read your whole post before posting...guess you already figured the pulses out.

Joe
just curious what are your settings? mine are v900w400v900w400v900

All the "built from source" ROMs I've used have a ridiculously high vibration setting for the soft keys. It annoyed me so much that I eventually stopped using them and switched over to NexBeast, which is just as fast, looks the same as jRummy's Remix and has the stock vibration settings. To make it even more similar I installed Helix Launcher 2, which as far as I've seen, doesn't have all the bugs that the 3D launcher in the Cyanogen ROMs does.

P.S. As an added thought, being an electrician, I'm almost thinking that in order to change this 'level of strength', there would have to be some kind of increased voltage change to the vibrating mechanism. Not sure what it is in the Droid as I have never taken one apart, but an old phone I took apart for shits & giggles revealed the vibrating thingy was just a little off-balanced weight on a motor that spun fast when vibration was called for.
Tear it apart then and epoxy a little more weight to the off balanced weight.Thats all i can think of off hand.[/quote]

You are right, the Droid usaes the same small motor with an off- balanced weight. Manipulating by raising/lowering or stepping the voltage to it is the only way of varying the intensity.

All the "built from source" ROMs I've used have a ridiculously high vibration setting for the soft keys. It annoyed me so much that I eventually stopped using them and switched over to NexBeast, which is just as fast, looks the same as jRummy's Remix and has the stock vibration settings. To make it even more similar I installed Helix Launcher 2, which as far as I've seen, doesn't have all the bugs that the 3D launcher in the Cyanogen ROMs does.

I thought I felt the vibration when using CyanogenMod was a little stronger...

I thought I felt the vibration when using CyanogenMod was a little stronger...

When you try another ROM you'll be amazed at the difference. It's perfect from the factory. Just a little, super light buzz to let you know you hit the button. With Cyanogen and other built from source ROMs (which are awesome in almost every other respect), it feels like I just stuck my thumb in a light socket.

I just came across an app that has a built in setting for vibration level. (The new keyboard "TouchPal".) I could set how hard it vibrates when I touch the keys. Has anyone found an app that can adjust this universally? I'd like to be able to adjust the vibration settings while adjusting volume levels. (When using an app like Audio Manager Pro.)

Back
Top Bottom