• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Videos: death grip on Droid X, EVO, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, Galaxy 1, G1, etc.

Theres a difference between holding both hands on a device in a totally natural way in some perfect formation to drop 2-3 bars and holding a phone naturally in one hand and dropping 2-5 bars.

Apple did some tests: Apple - Smartphone Antenna Performance

According to them the only phones on the market right now that this is a problem is:
Apple iPhone 4,
Apple iPhone 3GS,
BlackBerry Bold 9700,
HTC Droid Eris
Samsung Omnia II

Apple used their $100 million dollar testing facilities to conclude this.

I think it would be safe to assume that if Apple found the problem persistent on the Evo, Droid X, Galaxy S, or any other competing phone they would of included that instead of the obscure Omnia II, or the discontinued Droid Eris.

All the above videos are just specific device defects and the owners would exchange them for properly functioning devices.

Upvote 0
I hope that makes you feel better. My device is designed well enough that in NORMAL use, and NORMAL holds, I don't have to worry about the signal attenuation. Now, when I cup my hand over the top of my phone I lose signal, who cares, who uses the phone that way anywho? All comes down to design!

Upvote 0
Hey OP, haven't I seen you somewhere...?

iphone_ween.jpg

Reactions: Bexy
Upvote 0
LOL. I have an EVO and just last cupped, gripped, and smothered it every way possible (taht I could still see the bars on the screen). The only thing I got was a jump from the standerd 3 bars (I live in an old building know to have a signal gnome that dines on cell reception) to five. I tried this with Wifi and jumped from the standard dot and bar to 3 bars (through three walls). I must be super conductive. On the other hand being a lefty I killed the reception on my friends iPhone 4 in less than 5 seconds.

Moral of the story I bought the right phone for me and I could care less about "AntennaGate". Jobs, Apple fans and haters can laugh or cry over this doesn't change a thing for me.

Sprint billing on the other hand. Well I will save that for the post I should be writing instead of replying to this pile of rubbish.

Upvote 0
My phone works great, however the network extender only works when you place a phone call and or receive one. It does not work as an antenna to boost your signal. It also does not boost data. Dial #48 and it will tell you if you are running through it. Read the complete instructions, its all in there. This is how bad information gets circulated!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones