• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help viewsonic gtab - android.process.acore not working

Alrightey, so I had the infamous android.process.acore problem. Here's what I did that fixed it and wanted to share.

Symptoms:
- turned on tab, acore error started popping up every few seconds
- no access to keyboard
- no access to settings

Thing's I didn't do:
- hadn't installed anything new right before this happened
- didn't adjust adw settings
- didn't install a Facebook update
- didn't do anything with contacts -its my tablet, not my phone I.e. no contacts

Thing's I tried that didn't work (not in this order):
- uninstalled fbook
- uninstalled adw
- updated to tntlite 2.4 (I was on 2.2)
- rebooted a bunch of times
- talked sweetly to it and bought it chocolates. .. nothing.
- reflashed roms
- ran permission fix in rom manager

What did work:
- reinstalled vanilla OS
- accepted ota upgrade and updated (was then able to get to settings)
- did hard reset
- re-flashed tntlite 2.4
- lost my settings and some downloaded apps, but sdcard files still there (pics/movies)
- reinstalled rom manager and ran permission fix (corrected 100% battery problem)

I'm just an amateur, so I'm not sure which one of these things worked, or if I even approached this right. Just know when I was researching a fix there was a lot of frustration out there and not too many real solutions (someone even claimed it was because of ATK, which wasn't true for me coz I don't use it).

Anyhow, hope this helps someone out there who was experiencing the same thing.

Cheers! MQ

Usually reinstalling vanilla OS and reinstalling the rom does the trick. But that's usually the second to the last resort that I take. I'm sure u left it out but I also would try a data wipe and clear cache in clockworkmod. If that doesn't work then I reinstall vanilla os. Then if all else fails...NVflash would be the last resort. If you're not familiar with NVflash, then I read about it. This method can bring back a gtablet back from the dead regardless what issue you encounter.
I've performed a NVflash on my tablet and I think that's one of the reasons why I have had zero issues with the G eventhough I flashed and reflashed my device several times.

Good job figuring that out yourself. With the g tablet being such a young device in regards to custom rom flashing, we'll encounter these issues from time to time. Hopefully with viewsonic releasing the kernel source the custom roms will be more stable.

Thanks! I didn't mention it, but I did try clearing cache to no success. Thanks about recommending nvflash... will definitely check it out!

I'm excited for when honeycomb comes out next year and we can put a honeycomb based custom rom on the gtab... which, I have to say I really like (despite tilt screen drawback, which I can more than live with)

Take care!

Running tnt lite i had the same problem.. i cleared cache, reinstalled rom, then finally (sadly) had to wipe.. grrrr....

I heard somewhere about the battery completely dying did that, which in fact mine had.. I'm not sure if that was the reason, but i certainly was an odd coincidence if not

I remember my battery had completely died right before... hmmmm... didn't make that connection at all. So word to the wise is I guess, don't let your battery completely die!

how do i reboot my gtablet if i cant get to my settings? And how do you reinstall ota??

If you can still mount your gtab as a USB mass storage device, u can follow do the following..

The latest stock tnt is included in the thread below. Though this thread contains instructions to load the enhancement pack, you don't have to do that if all u want to do is install the stock firmware.

So dl the stock 3389 file, put the update zip and the recovery folder in the root of ur internal memory, then reboot by powering off then powering on while holding the volume + button. The update should reinstall.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885940

Alrightey, so I had the infamous android.process.acore problem. Here's what I did that fixed it and wanted to share.

Symptoms:
- turned on tab, acore error started popping up every few seconds
- no access to keyboard
- no access to settings

Thing's I didn't do:
- hadn't installed anything new right before this happened
- didn't adjust adw settings
- didn't install a Facebook update
- didn't do anything with contacts -its my tablet, not my phone I.e. no contacts

Thing's I tried that didn't work (not in this order):
- uninstalled fbook
- uninstalled adw
- updated to tntlite 2.4 (I was on 2.2)
- rebooted a bunch of times
- talked sweetly to it and bought it chocolates. .. nothing.
- reflashed roms
- ran permission fix in rom manager

What did work:
- reinstalled vanilla OS
- accepted ota upgrade and updated (was then able to get to settings)
- did hard reset
- re-flashed tntlite 2.4
- lost my settings and some downloaded apps, but sdcard files still there (pics/movies)
- reinstalled rom manager and ran permission fix (corrected 100% battery problem)

I'm just an amateur, so I'm not sure which one of these things worked, or if I even approached this right. Just know when I was researching a fix there was a lot of frustration out there and not too many real solutions (someone even claimed it was because of ATK, which wasn't true for me coz I don't use it).

Anyhow, hope this helps someone out there who was experiencing the same thing.

Cheers! MQ
---------------------------------------------------
mqureshi79 >>> i am exactly in the same boat as you were and i tried everything possible to no avail; I have a brand new g tablet that crashed less than 5 hours after purchase and it crashed like no Windows system i've ever owned.
I even contacted Viewsonic's G tablet phone line and was told to return the tablet to seller (good luck to me, ebay seller !) or wait for 30 days to return it directly to Viewsonic for repairs !?!?
Could you walk with me and tell me exactly how to get another version of the "vanilla OS" and how did you manage to reinstall it ?
I would appreciate that tremendously....

Hey avfreak
for the vanilla os, when I turned off and put into recovery (press volume up and power button together), one of the options is to wipe and return to factory settings. That brought me back to the vanilla os.

That being said, I'm returning mine tomorrow. After watching the news from CES, I'm gonna hold out for a Motorola xoom or one of the Asus tabs. This one freaked out on me a few days ago and I had to wipe again and upgrade to tnt 3.0. Screen resolution better but touchscreen still crap and everytime I try flash it crashes the browser -doesnt matter if its dolphin skyfire or what.

Good luck! -mohammed

Hey avfreak
for the vanilla os, when I turned off and put into recovery (press volume up and power button together), one of the options is to wipe and return to factory settings. That brought me back to the vanilla os.

That being said, I'm returning mine tomorrow. After watching the news from CES, I'm gonna hold out for a Motorola xoom or one of the Asus tabs. This one freaked out on me a few days ago and I had to wipe again and upgrade to tnt 3.0. Screen resolution better but touchscreen still crap and everytime I try flash it crashes the browser -doesnt matter if its dolphin skyfire or what.

Good luck! -mohammed

Awww that's too bad m. Did you use the touch screen calibration fix?

---------------------------------------------------
mqureshi79 >>> i am exactly in the same boat as you were and i tried everything possible to no avail; I have a brand new g tablet that crashed less than 5 hours after purchase and it crashed like no Windows system i've ever owned.
I even contacted Viewsonic's G tablet phone line and was told to return the tablet to seller (good luck to me, ebay seller !) or wait for 30 days to return it directly to Viewsonic for repairs !?!?
Could you walk with me and tell me exactly how to get another version of the "vanilla OS" and how did you manage to reinstall it ?
I would appreciate that tremendously....

Did you mod your gtab? If your still using the stock gtab, you might have to clear the cache in contacts.

If you can still get into settings, Go to settings then applications, then find Contacts clear the data and then find contactsprovider and clear the data.

If you can't get into settings, I would really suggest to install clockwork mod recovery. With Clockwork recovery, you can wipe data and clear cache without having to go into settings. Also, you can install a custom ROM.

Most Acore or other random force closes can be fix by wiping data or repartitioning your internal sd card. And the best way to do that is by using Clockwork mod.

Hey xmr,
Yeah... just so tired of all the probs. Read the instructions on screen calibration and just got fed up I.e. why can't it just work? Special steps for screen calibration, special steps for keyboard, flash not working, then it bugs out on me again... just... just too much. Need a device that works. I'm happy to tinker a little, but its just one too many.

Sorry! L8r! -moh

Hey xmr,
Yeah... just so tired of all the probs. Read the instructions on screen calibration and just got fed up I.e. why can't it just work? Special steps for screen calibration, special steps for keyboard, flash not working, then it bugs out on me again... just... just too much. Need a device that works. I'm happy to tinker a little, but its just one too many.

Sorry! L8r! -moh

Lol. Don't be sorry dude. I don't work for Viewsonic and I ain't no fanboy. You did have some issues, though. Yikes. I think most of those issues were resolved with the most updated ROMS.

That Xoom is gonna be awesome...just hope it doesn't cost too much. And i don't want to sign a contract just to get it cheaper.

Lol. Don't be sorry dude. I don't work for Viewsonic and I ain't no fanboy. You did have some issues, though. Yikes. I think most of those issues were resolved with the most updated ROMS.

That Xoom is gonna be awesome...just hope it doesn't cost too much. And i don't want to sign a contract just to get it cheaper.

True dat! Reflashed 2 vegan, which i like much better than tnt.. but, flash problem still there and esexplorer shortcuts dont seem flash work.... you win some, you lose some.

With xoom if they dont have a wifi only version ile cancel after month 1, getadroid bionic and use lte With it. Best laid plans ofmice and men (and droids)!

guys >>> My G-Tablet crashed so badly that it wouldn't display anything in "settings" to allow me to do a full re-set and even though i could connect to the internet i couldn't access it because my home screen neeeded login which i couldn't do because the G-Tab keyboard would not show up any longer, therefore no direct downloadings !
I then tried transfering files via USB from my desktop by means of pressing "+ volume" together with "power on" and i got it to work but no files/folders would show up onscreen, so i gave up on that as well.
The way i saw it, there was nothing else i could do but email Viewsonic and let them know what one of their customers thought about one of their products, help line and warranty.
This morning i got an email from the company instructing me to call another phone # and a rep took care of my problem; The tablet was shipped for "repairs" later on.
What annoys me is the fact that, from my understanding, the "repair" will consist of a tech opening up the case, pressing an internal re-set button, screwing it back together, downloading the latest firmware and shipping it back to owner !?!
I am now quite sure and concerned that the same crashing will happen to my G-Tab within a few hours or days after arrival and i wonder if the best thing to do would be to sell it at a loss or try some of these mods suggested here and keep it.
I don't expect anyone here to guarantee me that if i install one of these mods my G-Tab will never/ever crash that same way again, but can i expect at least some major improvement on my ability as an owner/user to do a full re-set to factory settings ?
Why would Viewsonic or any other company release a computer with an OS that crashes in such a way ? Is it because the G-Tablet has its own OS running on top of Android OS ?
Now i understand why Staples recalled and stopped selling them as their stores must have had a tremendous amount of returns, if my experience is an example, and i am not even a total techie novice !
Thanks for all the help guys >>> Marcos

guys >>> My G-Tablet crashed so badly that it wouldn't display anything in "settings" to allow me to do a full re-set and even though i could connect to the internet i couldn't access it because my home screen neeeded login which i couldn't do because the G-Tab keyboard would not show up any longer, therefore no direct downloadings !
I then tried transfering files via USB from my desktop by means of pressing "+ volume" together with "power on" and i got it to work but no files/folders would show up onscreen, so i gave up on that as well.
The way i saw it, there was nothing else i could do but email Viewsonic and let them know what one of their customers thought about one of their products, help line and warranty.
This morning i got an email from the company instructing me to call another phone # and a rep took care of my problem; The tablet was shipped for "repairs" later on.
What annoys me is the fact that, from my understanding, the "repair" will consist of a tech opening up the case, pressing an internal re-set button, screwing it back together, downloading the latest firmware and shipping it back to owner !?!
I am now quite sure and concerned that the same crashing will happen to my G-Tab within a few hours or days after arrival and i wonder if the best thing to do would be to sell it at a loss or try some of these mods suggested here and keep it.
I don't expect anyone here to guarantee me that if i install one of these mods my G-Tab will never/ever crash that same way again, but can i expect at least some major improvement on my ability as an owner/user to do a full re-set to factory settings ?
Why would Viewsonic or any other company release a computer with an OS that crashes in such a way ? Is it because the G-Tablet has its own OS running on top of Android OS ?
Now i understand why Staples recalled and stopped selling them as their stores must have had a tremendous amount of returns, if my experience is an example, and i am not even a total techie novice !
Thanks for all the help guys >>> Marcos

I understand your frustration. First time I got my Gtab, I rooted and ROM'd in like 30 minutes over the stock OS. A couple of hours later I started getting force closes and my gtab basically was unusable. I read and read the threads in XDA but since the gtab development was fairly new, there really wasn't too many troubleshooting fixes exceptfor one.

It's called NVflash. There's a thread in XDA under the development tab. I'll try to do a write up (summary) but to be honest I'm not really great at that kind of stuff. I'll post it on a separate thread.

I know you got your gtab on Ebay so I'm guessing it is one of the first gtabs which had software issues. There is good news because our Gtab can go into a mode called APX which will enable us to NVflash. NVflash can bring back the Gtab from the dead when it dies because of software issues. This is one of the best things about the Gtab because it makes it virtually unbrickable. Now if it's hardware like a faulty CPU, battery, etc..this won't help. But it sounds to me, that's not the case.

So hang on and let me try to write it up.

Edit: I'm at work and I can't get into the files to link it to the post I was creating. I'll do it when I get home.

The NVflash instructions are up. It's not as difficult as I wrote it up to be.

Thank Goodness for these Forums! I have been having this problem for the past week (past few days I haven't felt like messing with it)! It just started out of nowhere at my parent's house and they have a verizon air card for internet, so I thought it was just something related to the air card or the internet.

First thing I do when I get home is try some of these things! Thank you to everyone who has posted with a solution to try. I will keep everyone posted on what happens with mine.

Thank Goodness for these Forums! I have been having this problem for the past week (past few days I haven't felt like messing with it)! It just started out of nowhere at my parent's house and they have a verizon air card for internet, so I thought it was just something related to the air card or the internet.

First thing I do when I get home is try some of these things! Thank you to everyone who has posted with a solution to try. I will keep everyone posted on what happens with mine.

Welcome to the forums, peridotmyst! Hope everything works out!

Interesting enough there are a lot of guess of how to correct this issue. The one that seems to have worked for me, is going into settings, unmounting the SD card, after it is unmounted pulling the card and reinserting it where it automatically mounts.

My issue was trying to edit contacts I would get the error and have to force close. After going through the remounting of the SD card I was able to edit the contacts.

Very weird. Try the simple steps before rebooting, uninstalling, or reinitializing the phone.

Back
Top Bottom