• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Deleted "system" in TWRP, can't mount anything

So I seem to be completely screwed, but I'm hoping that I can be told otherwise. :/

Virgin Mobile SGV, and I'm trying to have it activated over at Straight Talk. Everything finally worked on their end, all I needed to do was dial ##72786# to get to the SCRTN menu and reset my network settings (I assume), but nothing showed up in SCRTN, just a blank black screen.

I figured since I was rooted with a custom ROM that if I reset to factory and followed the TWRP stock image restore method, I'd be in the clear to try again. It won't let me post a link to the thread, but a little ways down there was a post from JerryScript that involved wiping the "system" files as well. The problem is this:

Now I have no OS, and TWRP won't let me mount anything, internal or external. I've plugged the microSD into my pc to format it with a 128mb EXT4 and 0mb swap, but still nothing in the SGV. From the TWRP middle button's console screen I see "E:Unknown File System: 'datamedia', and everything I do in TWRP now fails. I'm using TWRP v2.6.3.0 if that helps, and I can provide any other necessary details. Hoping against hope it's not too late. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should mention, I can still use TWRP's File Manager fine, which is remarkably confusing.

When you were going to restore stock, I hope you downloaded the stock back up first. If you did all you have to do is restore that stock back up. Or if you have any backups of your own that you made before flashing the custom ROM restore that. Or try this How to recover your Samsung Galaxy Victory back to Rooted Stock - Home

I did download the stock backup, and that's the issue I'm having: nothing shows up in TWRP's Restore area, no matter if I check internal or external. Like I said above, I wonder if this has something to do with the "Unknown File System 'datamedia'" error, as from what I can tell that should be reading /data/media. No idea for certain though.

Here are some pictures of what I'm seeing in TWRP:

Weird console error:
6ETOJBo.jpg

The backup files are in the right place, and you can see them with the File Manager, just not in "Restore":
Q0QQFmj.jpg

You don't have the backup in the right folder. Twrp/backups/"serial number" is the folder. "Serial number" should be your phones serial number. You have to make a backup for the folder to be created. Follow the directions in the link I posted TO THE LETTER and you will be back in business. :cool:

You don't have the backup in the right folder. Twrp/backups/"serial number" is the folder. "Serial number" should be your phones serial number. You have to make a backup for the folder to be created. Follow the directions in the link I posted TO THE LETTER and you will be back in business. :cool:

I was looking around at the folder structure in the zip file from nsuchy.net and I saw that there needed to be a folder with the date and some other numbers. As soon as I made a new folder with the same numbers, it worked!!!

For people having a similar problem, the final structure needed for the zip file included at that link was:
TWRP/BACKUPS/[phone's serial number]/1969-12-31--18-44-08/[place files here]

Thank you so much for the help, and I hope I can be as helpful one day in return around here. :D

You may have to share with us if it works or not. I was trying to unlock my Victory and haven't gotten the guts to try, yet.

Back
Top Bottom