• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Does just the act of rooting make your phone prone to glitches?

I want to root my new phone but this time keeping the stock rom.

What I would like to know is if just by rooting every phone turns into some sort of beta version, prone to glitches and such. A trade up for the root privileges.

I know it does void the warranty and jada jada jada companies don't want you to root. Any other bad side effects of just rooting?

Rooting is actually inherently safer than installing an app from the Play store. It's just copying 2 files to the phone and installing 1 app. If one of the files, or the app, is corrupted, it can cause problems, but so can any app. But most people root their phones by running a "rooting" program, and who knows what the program is doing? Rooting by hand is as safe as running your calculator app.

Rooting has been used on *nix systems since Unix was first run in 1972 - with very few problems. (Everyone shoots himself in the foot once in a while. I just deleted this post by accident, and have to write it again.)

The problem isn't rooting, it's what you can do if you can obtain root status. If I give you a loaded revolver, does it do any damage? No. But you can use it to shoot yourself in the head, and that's damaging.

There's a command you can issue in any terminal app (and you don't have to be rooted to run a terminal app) that - if you're not rooted - is basically ignored by Android. But if you've gotten root status, the command is the equivalent of "commit suicide" - and the phone will.

It's not being rooted that's the problem, it's what you do with it that may be.

Rooting can actually make your phone faster if you install a kernal/rom with CPU over clocking. Just don't accidentally delete an important system file and you would basically be good... Rooted 3 phones and I've never bricked my phone through root processes.

Plus rooting your phone and running a custom ROM allows you to remove bloatware. This frees up internal memory so you can run the apps YOU want to.

In very simple terms all the act of rooting does is give your file system the ability for reed and write access. Without Root you basically have a read only file system so in short Rooting in itself does not really do anything that would have an effect on performance. It just allows you to make the changes that will.

thank you to everybody now can somebody share with me a page with instructions how to root the galaxy vvictory that is not an automated program?

Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom