• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [HOW-TO] Easiest Root Method

Rooting A phone can be a daunting task for noobies. I know. I was once that guy. Recently, There has been a exploit discovered that will root any phone with a kernel made before June 2014, no computer required!. This includes the Victory!

Step 1: Head on over to towelroot by geohot and download the .apk.

Step 2: Using your favorite file browser, find and install the apk. Run it, following the directions.

Step 3: Go to Google Play and install SuperSU or Superuser. (This is optional)

[COLOR="Red"]I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR PHONE, NOR DO I TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR DEVELOPING TOWELROOT. [/COLOR]

P.S. This does not install a custom recovery. Use Flashify (from the google play store) to flash TWRP recover if desired.

Best of Luck,

the_Victorian
:p

MANY THANKS for this quick and easy root method.

Now I can finally install AdBlock, and a few other root-only apps.

Paul

:):):):):)

MANY THANKS for this quick and easy root method.

Now I can finally install AdBlock, and a few other root-only apps.

Paul

:):):):):)
Glad I could help! Hopefully I can start making a ROM soon, as there are only two devs currently working on this phone. Thanks for reading my guide.

-the_Victorian

TR successfully worked for me just now. Installed SuperSU the normal way on google play. Question is, How do I install TWRP 2.4.3 or 2.6.3???

I have stock recovery and Flashify says to use boot.img, but where do I get the TWRP one at??

BTW: I had a stock rooted MG5 and twrp 2.6.3... I had flashed the stock mg5 rom from that repo on here and it asked me to replace recovery and unroot, which I did. I had the optimizing apps 1 of 50 problem on this phone otherwise it was great! So I wanted to update to ND4.

ALSO: Stock MG5 :WILL NOT: update the ND4 OTA update, phone reboots and shows android icon with spinning install, then fails with a dead android and red X on his open heart LOL

TR successfully worked for me just now. Installed SuperSU the normal way on google play. Question is, How do I install TWRP 2.4.3 or 2.6.3???

I have stock recovery and Flashify says to use boot.img, but where do I get the TWRP one at??

BTW: I had a stock rooted MG5 and twrp 2.6.3... I had flashed the stock mg5 rom from that repo on here and it asked me to replace recovery and unroot, which I did. I had the optimizing apps 1 of 50 problem on this phone otherwise it was great! So I wanted to update to ND4.

ALSO: Stock MG5 :WILL NOT: update the ND4 OTA update, phone reboots and shows android icon with spinning install, then fails with a dead android and red X on his open heart LOL

You need the twrp 2.6.3.0 zip file. Then extract the recovery.img from it to use flashify. Not boot.img. boot.img is kernel. I have the zip somewhere, I'll find it for ya.

Edit: here is the twrp 2.6.3.0 zip for the victory https://app.box.com/s/d7w1r6e26xttwejj7mkj

Also there is an mg5 to nd4 no props zip update for flashing in twrp by nick_73 on vmroms forum.
http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=845.msg15125.msg#15125 get the file that says twrp/cwm no props zip. Its the mg5 to nd4 update made flashable in twrp.

You need the twrp 2.6.3.0 zip file. Then extract the recovery.img from it to use flashify. Not boot.img. boot.img is kernel. I have the zip somewhere, I'll find it for ya.

Edit: here is the twrp 2.6.3.0 zip for the victory https://app.box.com/s/d7w1r6e26xttwejj7mkj

Also there is an mg5 to nd4 no props zip update for flashing in twrp by nick_73 on vmroms forum.
[ROM] Touchwiz ND4 Stock Rom get the file that says twrp/cwm no props zip. Its the mg5 to nd4 update made flashable in twrp.

Thanks Madbat! That shore beat odin, and pulling the battery routine, flashed TWRP recovery and installed SuperSU and Busybox and didn't even have to reboot!!

Back
Top Bottom