• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Lost a lot of space

Michael323

I need some advice...I rooted this phone yesterday using the instructions here. The rooting freed up a lot of space and the phone runs much better. I used Link2Sd to link apps (not move them) to SD card. I ended up with 900 MB of free space.

I ran a back up through the Teamwin recovery last night. I also ran a TiBa full back up last night.

This morning I see that I lost about 700 MB of space. I don't know what is taking it up. The recovery backup and TiBa backup are directed to the sd card.

I restored from the recovery but it did not help, now I am getting low space warning. I have cleared dalvik & app caches. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Here is what I have noticed using Root Explorer. For apps I have linked to SD card in Link2sd, there are copies of APKs in two different locations, examples below:

/data/app/com.amazon.mShop.android-2.apk 6.12MB 01 Jan 1970
/data/sdext2/com.amazon.mShop.android-2.apk 6.12MB 11 Apr 2014

The one in /data/app has this notation from Root Explorer: Linked to /data/sdext2/com.amazon.mShop.android-2.apk

Should I delete or move these duplicates, or do/re-do something else in Link2sd?

No don't delete those, they are the symlinks. Go to settings/application manager and go through and see which app is using all the storage, each apps data.

It turns out some of the linked apps did not maintain their links. I relinked everything and so far they remain linked and I have recovered some but not all space. I'll be checking to see what else I can clear.

If an App didn't maintain it's link it must have updated. A link is not actually data and they cannot unlink themselves, the only time I have seen an issue is with apps that are set to install to sdcard when installed. Amazon is a space hog anyways.
Another thing is there data files not moveable now, it is kept in /data/data. Link2sd nor anything other app I have found so far will move these. I have found some of these can really eat up space.

Back
Top Bottom