• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] More please!

Madbat

Android Expert
Knowledge I mean. Any and all! This is only the second android phone I've rooted and started modifying. The first one was the Galaxy indulge and by the time I got it development was about dead. But with this one it seems like I got in on the ground floor and I'm loving it.
So needless to say I am relatively new to a lot of this. But I am learning fast and loving every minute of it.
I would like to start learning more and I'm sure a lot of people out there would too. So if anyone has any advice or can point me in a direction of where I can start reading anywhere on the web or anywhere in the world to start learning more about Android and how to modify it, write it, Dev it, anything, I welcome all.
Anything about our phone the victory of course would be even sweeter. Now, bring it on!:D

First step would be learning *nix basics. What a kernel is, file structure, GPL, compiling, etc, then going Android specific.

Its funny it started a couple years ago when I got my first Android phone, my niece posted a picture on facebook of a screenshot of one of her text messages. I search my phone and found that it couldn't do this. So I search the Play Store for an app to do it and it said phone must be rooted device for this to work! So then I looked up what is rooted. And it just took off like a skyrocket from there. I found the forum for my phone samsung galaxy indulge and read it from beginning to end and then read it again and then 5 more times. After nervously staring at my computer and phone for a couple days I've then rooted it. Then flashed my first rom and kernel. And that was it for a while development ended on that phone. Flash forward a couple years and I got the Samsung Galaxy victory, and the fun begins all over again!

also I'd like to know a little more about ADB. I've never used it but I've seen it save a lot of people's bacon, and I would love to have this in my arsenal of weapons against the ever-present threat of the dreaded break of doom.

Back
Top Bottom