• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Official LiquidSmooth Nightlies!!

Mms work with Evolve now? I tried it a while back and it wouldn't

Evolve has been going through a lot of beta improvements, if you go to their G+ page there is a lot of good info and you can get early releases if you opt into the beta testing. Evolve has worked great for me from the start, and it has built in APN options.

Upvote 0
I posted this a while back in the All Things Mods! thread by @ajnycguy, but here it is again for those who would like it-I am using the keyboard from the LG G2, ripped and provided by @Droidviews, and I must say it is probably the best keyboard I have used on this phone. The keyboard can be themed as well, I am using Evo and really like the way it looks. Plus, the keyboard offers a separate number row, which is nice; to make it work, you will need to add the following line to your build.prop:

ime_extend_row_keyboard=true

Just add it at the end of the build.prop (I used ROM Toolbox Pro) and add a blank line afterwards, save changes, then reboot.

Keyboard download link:

Install LG G2 Stock Keyboard + Themes on Your Android Phone

VXCKunS.png

I'm gonna give this puppy a try. I went ahead and did the full edit instead of the short cut. I've been using SwiftKey for a few years now and decided to try something new. I respect your opinion and if you say it's one of the best that you've ever tried, well that's good enough for me bro. I'm on the Tablet now letting the phone boot up. I can't wait to give it a try.

As for the ROM, I just flashed 3/15 a little while ago. Just as the past few builds have done, 3/15 is running excellent! I tell Ya what.......... Carbon and CM11 need to get back in the game. IMO , Liquidsmooth is BOSS right now and has been for several weeks now. :D

Peace

Edit:

I'm using the new keyboard now and it's nice and smooth. Thank you sir. Nice find Struck. :)

Upvote 0
Just posted a few minutes ago on the G+ page by the page owner Steve Hoyt, LiquidSmooth won't be available through the traditional website while there is a server change going on, this will be in effect for the next 7-8 hours. I will probably upload my 3/15 copy, modified like the 3/10 build, since they introduced the Gesture Anywhere functionality in that particular build, for those who would like it. Should tide everyone over, just in case! Don't know if this will affect the OTA function, last time there was a server issue the OTA downloads were painfully slow as well, reminded me of the days of dial-up modems!

Upvote 0
I've been using this all weekend and I'm hooked lol. The only problem I've found it when the phone can't connect to the camera is there a fix for this?

Seems to be an ongoing issue across all KitKat Roms right now. Its quite annoying, better than the first nightly of CM by a long shot though...

So I just clean flashed the 3/15 build, dkp 2/26 kernel, PA Gapps Full Modular, and MMS Fix #2.
I noticed that right off the bat the phone was getting very hot and battery was draining atrociously. I poked around with ROM Toolbox and adjusted the kernel to "noop" I/O (from "row") and "freelunch" governor (from "interactive") and now that battery life is on par with CM11 If not better. I'm going to give it a week or so with this ROM since its my first go-around with it before I pass final judgment.

Also had to format my Transcend 64GB sdcard from exfat to NTFS for it to work with this ROM but it wasn't a terrible compromise.

Upvote 0
Hey struckn, I may give this a flash. Its looking nice. Only question, what's the difference in the PA Gapps and normal Gapps. I also seen my normal gapps were for android 4.4.1, are there specific gaps for android 4.4.2?

GApps are mainly a matter of personal preference, there are tons of different packages out there. However, not all of them are compatible with ART. The PA ones are compatible, and offer multiple size options as well. Just stay away from the Complete Stock package (the biggest one), as it will replace certain default options in the ROM you are using (launcher, keyboard, messaging app, and camera/gallery). Also, the only thing that really matters in terms of Android version is that you choose a KitKat version of GApps, if they say "4.4.1" they will still work on 4.4.2.

Upvote 0
GApps are mainly a matter of personal preference, there are tons of different packages out there. However, not all of them are compatible with ART. The PA ones are compatible, and offer multiple size options as well. Just stay away from the Complete Stock package (the biggest one), as it will replace certain default options in the ROM you are using (launcher, keyboard, messaging app, and camera/gallery). Also, the only thing that really matters in terms of Android version is that you choose a KitKat version of GApps, if they say "4.4.1" they will still work on 4.4.2.

So your telling me to stay away from the full PA Gapps or the full stock gapps?

Upvote 0
So your telling me to stay away from the full PA Gapps or the full stock gapps?

Couldn't remember the exact package names off the top of my head, so just looked it up; the Google Stock package (which is the biggest, most "all inclusive" one) is the one I don't recommend. Full Modular or Mini Modular won't replace the launcher, keyboard, messaging app, or camera/gallery. I like the Full Modular, but then I go in and debloat the file of the apps I will never use, like Google Currents, Talkback, Wallet, etc.

Upvote 0
While the server is having issues, and without a build for a couple of days, here is the 3/15 nightly to tide over those who would like it. Gesture Anywhere has been added, so now there are multiple options for accessing favorite apps and functions, along with Pie and Appbar. I have also added in the same .apk files that I did for the 3/10 build.

LiquidSmooth KitKat Nightly 20140315.zip | ROM by struckn for Galaxy S3

Currently recommending (highly) a new kernel as well, Quantum Kernel. Check out my Battery and Kernel thread, links are in this specific post:

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/832151-battery-life-kernel-tweaks-discussion-thread.html#post6487064

Upvote 0
I'm trying to use root browser and ROM toolbox lite to edit my build prop so I can try out the lg keyboard but every time I try to save my changes it always says failed to edit build prop. Any ideas?

I used the Pro version of ROM Toolbox with no problems. It might be a R/O versus R/W permissions issue for the app, as in it doesn't have the correct permissions. You can also edit the build.prop in the zip file for future ROM flashes, not that this helps in this particular scenario unless you want to reflash after modifying. Just make sure to use Notepad++ in that case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones