• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile Rumored Devices Thread

Yeah I searched virgin mobile and it was on the second page as Virgin Mobile HTC Desire. It had all the specs and one of the virgin mobile descriptions like " stay social with this blah blah ".. I wonder why they would put it up just to take it off?

May have been a place holder. Pre loaded in the data and forgot to set the date on it. There have been many reports tha this phone is headed our way. I think I want one but still eyeing the Supreme on Black Friday special??

Upvote 0
I'm interested in the desire but will wait until black friday to see what VM does. I think I'll be jumping on whatever I feel is the best deal. Could be the supreme if the price is right. Could be the desire, yes it's new but VM has put things on sale quickly before. Could be a really cheap s3, I guess, if I have to. In a pinch I could see even the F3.

Upvote 0
Odd talking about this on a Droid site, but I'd love to see VM do a WindowsPhone.
I've been using a Nokia 521 on Simple Mobile and I really like the new and seemingly elegant WindowsPhone OS. iPhone and Droid are similar. WP8 is a nice diversion. Basically, the live tiles are micro-widgets, and the entire OS is live tile driven.

A friend has a windows phone and loves it. Since I still use a Zune for my MP3 player (a 30g original, built like a tank but the software is the real draw, torrent D/L music transfers effortlessly, finds the album data and artwork by itself) and the windows phone supports that and is the only reason MS continues support for Zune software, I'd definitely look at a windows phone.

Damn shame the Zune didn't last. It was a great alternative for those of us who simply dislike the Apple business model. (of course there was a lot to criticize about the MS business model as well)

Upvote 0
A friend has a windows phone and loves it. Since I still use a Zune for my MP3 player (a 30g original, built like a tank but the software is the real draw, torrent D/L music transfers effortlessly, finds the album data and artwork by itself) and the windows phone supports that and is the only reason MS continues support for Zune software, I'd definitely look at a windows phone.

Damn shame the Zune didn't last. It was a great alternative for those of us who simply dislike the Apple business model. (of course there was a lot to criticize about the MS business model as well)

Not to mention the Zune had four times the memory for half the price of competing ipods! When I finally decided to get my wife an MP3 player I couldn't figure out what the catch was, why was the Zune so much better of a deal? I was blown away, and yet we all know how the market played out.

Upvote 0
Glad to see we're getting more 4G phones in the lineup now. Good to see the newest iPhones available as well. I'll probably never buy one, but it helps us all out with the more users it brings to VM.

Any chance we'll ever get a Windows phone?

I think now that Microsoft is acquiring Nokia's handset business there is a much better chance. MS has really sat in the back seat regarding mobile technology for too long, and they have the money to aggressively market the phones they will make. I've never actually owned a Windows phone, but a few years ago, I was using T-Mobile, and did a product test for an HTC Windows phone (I think it was the HD7). It had some issues (I wouldn't be surprised if it was on HTC's end, since I was not happy with the EVO either), but it also seemed familiar because it was windows.

I would definitely try a Windows phone out if VM ever offers one.

Upvote 0
Call me crazy, But I personally don't think it will be that expensive, Atleast on Virgin Mobile. Considering VM has kept the S3 on sale for quite some time, It made sense that something bigger was around the corner. While the S5 is a nice phone, I was not thoroughly impressed with their next "flagship" device. IMO, I believe most buying the S5 will be current S3 owners. If I had an S4, I couldn't justify spending "potentially" 600-700 bucks for the additions. With that said, I'd wager they set the price point at $499.99.

Upvote 0
Expect to pay out the a** for the S5 when it is released for Virgin Mobile. No way would I pay $500+ for a phone that will feel just like another phone after all the hype is gone within a few months. Personally I was disappointed in the S5 seems like this is how its going to be now every year around spring time...a new Galaxy S model phone with a few little tweaks. Ill stick with the LG G2 and my Galaxy S3 as back-up...btw S3 is still a best phone ever! :p

This is how pre-paid MVNOs work, they charge full price for the phone as to where post-paid you get a subsidized price on a phone but pay out higher monthly costs for service.

Upvote 0
Expect to pay out the a** for the S5 when it is released for Virgin Mobile. No way would I pay $500+ for a phone that will feel just like another phone after all the hype is gone within a few months. Personally I was disappointed in the S5 seems like this is how its going to be now every year around spring time...a new Galaxy S model phone with a few little tweaks. Ill stick with the LG G2 and my Galaxy S3 as back-up...btw S3 is still a best phone ever! :p

This is how pre-paid MVNOs work, they charge full price for the phone as to where post-paid you get a subsidized price on a phone but pay out higher monthly costs for service.

Subsidized pricing is starting to be phased out on postpaid, the question is how much longer AT&T and Verizon will offer subsidized plans. AT&T's new Simple Choice plans (that $100 for 10 GB plus $15 per smartphone you see advertised all the time) does not have subsidized phones. I think what you will eventually see is the "upgrade" plans, such as AT&T's Next, will have to be added to get subsidized phones.

Upvote 0
i am personally excited for this phone and will be willing to save up my money to get it because i know that this is one of the best phones out right now and it will last me a good couple of years. its worth the investment, esp when phones like the s3 are still relevent (even thou they are coming up on eol)

Upvote 0
I don't believe you will see that. From what I can tell, the $5 credit is solely for Apple, and was to help Sprint meet the sales required by their contract with Apple.

I caved and bought a $99 iphone 4 from Radio Shack on black friday, as I had stuck with my Motorola Triumph and it's grandfathered $25 plan that was a big draw. I loved for several years being able to brag about full android, unlimited data and messaging, 300 min talk for $25! Nobody beat that.
I could live with "iphone, $30 a month!" In today's economy bragging about the deal you got is as good as showing off overpriced bling.
The week I waited for the phone to arrive I noticed my area was finally getting the 4LTE upgrade, also came up on a couple hundred bucks, then saw the draconian policies of the itunes store (just creating a password was traumatic!) so cancelled it and picked up the S3 in store. 4LTE over 3g was the deal breaker.
Now that you mention what the $5 was about it even more validates my rejection of Apple and their jack booted, goose stepping business model.

I like Google's "you must now have a google+ account to post comments on youtube" jack booted, goose stepping business model much better.

(I use a Zune for music, nobody owns the pirated content on it but me, and it finds the album cover art for bittorrent downloads automatically)

Apple would be soooo much easier to dismiss if the hardware wasn't so damn exquisite. Yeah that's the word.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones