• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] Caution after rooting

jamstewonline

Jul 28, 2013
Texas
trying to go into recovery using quick boot will also do a factory reset as it did with rom toolbox for other user. This may happen with any kind of recovery starter until boot loader is unlocked. it did not re-install the apps i removed after rooting it just returned the user settings to default. launcher, themes etc...

trying to go into recovery using quick boot will also do a factory reset as it did with rom toolbox for other user. This may happen with any kind of recovery starter until boot loader is unlocked. it did not re-install the apps i removed after rooting it just returned the user settings to default. launcher, themes etc...

This problem has already been discussed and fairy well-documented, depending on which root method you used. If you used one of the newest root method, then yeah the only way you can safely get to recovery is by using the power+vol- hardware buttons after turning the phone off. Any attempts to get into recovery via an app or Android menu will result in a factory reset. If you used one of the older methods (which came with an older version of CWM if I remember correctly), then the opposite problem is true - you can only get to recovery via an app command (Rom Manager i think?), and any attempt to boot to recovery via any other method, hardware keys or whatever would result in your phone being factory reset.

Personally, I recommend rooting via this thread, which worked just fine for me. This method allows you to enter recovery via the hardware keys (only), which is much more reliable of an option than having to use an android app to do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones