• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] Stock Hotspot Mod?

I used to have a Virgin Mobile Galaxy S II, and someone had developed a mod that allowed the built in stock hotspot to work. Would it be difficult to develop something like this for the Virgin Mobile LG Optimus F3? In other Sprint hotspot mods I have looked at it involves changes to only a few files including Services.jar. I would like to adapt a Sprint hotspot mod to the ZV6 firmware for this phone. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

emkeene

I used to have a Virgin Mobile Galaxy S II, and someone had developed a mod that allowed the built in stock hotspot to work. Would it be difficult to develop something like this for the Virgin Mobile LG Optimus F3? In other Sprint hotspot mods I have looked at it involves changes to only a few files including Services.jar. I would like to adapt a Sprint hotspot mod to the ZV6 firmware for this phone. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

emkeene

Robaho's WiFi tether is the best app for tethering VM F3's. It's $2.49, but worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robaho.wifihotspotwidget

Upvote 0
there has to be a way to do it for free!

If you don't have the hotspots settings on your phone you can use the witless tether for root users 2.7 and portable Wi-Fi hotspots in combination and that will work.
But if you go to more under wireless network and you see tether settings than you will have to use robahos as his app is specifically designed for the f3. A couple dollars isn't nothing compared to 5$ for 250 mb

Upvote 0
Hello all!

I would like to request some assistance in creating/porting a Sprint Hotspot Mod for the LG Optimus F3 (LS720) on Virgin Mobile so I can use the stock wifi tethering capability without having to pay VM extra money each month. I currently use the app Wifi Hotspot NetMgr LG F3 from Google Play for wifi tethering and it works very well, but I would still prefer to have the native Wi-Fi hotspot working. I have done what research I can using Google to try and get started, but I can't find very much info pertaining to this phone or how to go about achieving this. Here's what little I do know so far:

1. There are working hotspot mods for many other phones out there such as the LG G2 and the Samsung Galaxy SII. In fact I used to own a VM Galaxy SII and it had a modded native hotspot, I used it all the time. So it should be possible to create a working mod for the LG Optimus F3.

2. Most of the Sprint based hotspot mods I have looked at involve making some minor edits to the /system/framework/services.jar file. However the location within the file and content of these edits seem to be unique to each different ROM's services.jar.

3. I think I might have isolated the file that needs to be changed on my Optimus F3. I pulled and decompiled the services.jar using Winrar and baksmali. From looking around I have ascertained that the required edits probably lie somewhere in the file com\android\server\connectivity\Tethering.smali but I have no idea how to tell what lines need to be changed or what to change them to as I am not that well versed in Java.

Here is where I need help. I am hoping that somebody can look over my phone's services.jar and maybe point me in the right direction. Any help or hints of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
emkeene

Edit: Never mind, I got it working. Thanks anyway.

Attachments

• services.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones