• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] Why did you root?

jamstewonline

Besides the obvious of removing bloat and possibly getting the app 2 sd working why did you root your F3. There is no recovery or roms available so is there any other reason to root other than for-mentioned at beginning of post?

I agree, adaway (or just using a host file) and tibu to import app backups are the most common uses. Imo, the F3 is great right out of box, I'm not even rooting the wifes phone. It is a very fast and smooth phone, great battery life and is a respectable 3d gamer.

I rooted for the same reasons as all of you guys, but I also was thinking about making custom roms and recoveries. Unfortunately I'm not too good with development, so idk if that will happen

I rooted to use my Ps3 controller with the phone and play Ps1 games using it thru an emulator. Turns out that this phone doesn't support the Ps3 controller app. :(

My top reasons, actually my only reasons, are Link2SD and Google Wallet. Even then, I'm still having major issues with low space.

I suggest using FolderMount to clear up some more space if possible.

I rooted due to low space issues mainly.

I rooted for the same reasons as all of you guys, but I also was thinking about making custom roms and recoveries. Unfortunately I'm not too good with development, so idk if that will happen

Doesn't this phone have a locked bootloader? I can try to make you guys a recovery but someone would have to flash it since I don't have the phone.

Doesn't this phone have a locked bootloader? I can try to make you guys a recovery but someone would have to flash it since I don't have the phone.

It does, but I've been looking around on how to unlock it. I think i might have seen a way, but I'm not sure. I'm willing to flash it as soon as i get my phone back

It does, but I've been looking around on how to unlock it. I think i might have seen a way, but I'm not sure. I'm willing to flash it as soon as i get my phone back
That would be cool if there was a way to unlock it. Not sure I really care as the phone runs great stock.

I did run across this a while ago, not sure what it does exactly:
It does appear, I have not tried it, that there is a special program made that can run CWM on LG phones with the locked bootloader.
2nd Init Recovery by 985hPaKicK for the spirit.

Working CWM Recovery!!!

Maybe that program would need to be tweaked to run on our phone, maybe not. I'm not brave enough to try, or currently care to try as the phone works perfect as is.

It appeared that you can make a Nandroid backup, but thinking how would one reinstall it if you bricked your phone....

I can add another app; GL to SD.
Downloaded a race game last night with a large obb file that I was able to move to the ExtSD card this way.

Back
Top Bottom