• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Twrp 2.7.0.1

Madbat

Android Expert
Just wondering if anyone tried twrp 2.7.0.1 on the virgin victory yet. There is only a sprint .img on their sight, but I'm pretty sure that 2.6.3.0 was for goghspr and I'm using it now and it works. I made a zip to flash it but I can't get to Odin right now to go back if it doesn't work. (I won't have a recovery to flash back to 2.6.3.0 if the new one breaks it.) So just curious if anyone tried it yet.

Flashed through Odin. It works. Didn't notice any real difference besides it seems to load quicker than the last version so i made a backup and that was it.

Okay just going to let you know right now, there are some downfalls. 2.7 was designed in reference to KitKat. For instance fixing permissions will fail now. Don't know why. If you look in the log when it first comes on It gives an error about kernel support. Some 'SE' thing. I don't know how this will affect everything else.

Okay just going to let you know right now, there are some downfalls. 2.7 was designed in reference to KitKat. For instance fixing permissions will fail now. Don't know why. If you look in the log when it first comes on It gives an error about kernel support. Some 'SE' thing. I don't know how this will affect everything else.

SE Linux is enhanced security that started passively in jellybean i believe and is now in enforcing mode in kit Kat.

You'll run into issues if the recovery expects it but doesn't see it

http://selinuxproject.org/page/SEAndroid

It let me backup and restore and flash and that's all I do so hey... I'm not seeing any real differences or options so I see no reason to go back or update

I didn't think there would be much new, just wondered if anyone tried it for VM. Question answered, thanks. Still finding this phone pretty useful, can't see a reason to shell out $225 for an s3 that's also outdated, I have a nexus 7 2013 if I want to have a bigger screen or get an itchy flash finger. Nothing really in the virgin lineup makes me want to spend money right now.

Nothing really in the virgin lineup makes me want to spend money right now.

Yeah, this phone was really a hidden gem. I've had this phone for almost a year and a half and see no reason to upgrade as of yet. Although the s5 is looking nice and there are rumors that VM might carry it. As for new TWRP, it's nice to see that a recovery is still being updated for us.

Said it before in the last "why no roms" bitching thread.

I'm on Sprint but same applies:

this phone still runs what I need, is rootable, xposed modules take care of things I didn't care to mod, and at its core is just pretty dang reliable. There's a 32GB Sd card in, ext2internal (roomtoroam) takes care of storage (didn't app2sd, not been hammered for space), etc.

The only thing that made me dislike the phone when I got it was touchWiz (I had an Optimus S prior, so was used to the ROMs on that being very pure GUI-wise). But, some systemui.apk modding and ta-da... it looks AOSP while still technically running touchWiz.

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and that satisfies the rest of my Android needs if I want big screen, gaming, etc.

This phone will definitely last me well past the upgrade window just like the Optimus S did. It's also just the perfect size.

On topic: I actually was disappointed when TWRP was updated and fixed the "static screen" thing. I got used to seeing that static mess whenever I was modding and flashing things. :)

Back
Top Bottom