• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Updating rooted Victory with stock ROM

M_CEO

Hi everybody,

My phone has been giving me the "Android System Update" reminder for the last few days.

Considering I want to keep the stock ROM (4.1.2) I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it safe to do so being the phone rooted?

2. If not, what's the alternative to get all the updates offered by samsung for my phone?

Thank you!

The ota update will fail if you're rooted. You have to unroot and re install the stock recovery. If your build ends in mg5 then nick_73 has an update zip that you can flash in twrp. But usually if youre rooted you have to edit the update to work. It takes a bit of knowledge in editing updater scripts.
Here is a link to the twrp flashable zip. http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=845.msg15125.msg#15125 its the one that says "no props"
Nick_73 did all the work and all thanks go to him. As long as you haven't modified your system or removed any system apps it will work, just install in twrp.

Thank you for that info!
I already deleted some bloatware that came with the phone (can't remember names, I made a backup but playing around I wiped my SD card), would those be considered a system apps?

Thank you for that info!
I already deleted some bloatware that came with the phone (can't remember names, I made a backup but playing around I wiped my SD card), would those be considered a system apps?

Yeah those are system apps. You have to have all the original sock apps to update. There is a stock mg5 zip by moonknightus here in the forum. You could download it and extract all the missing apps from it then update with nick_73's no props.

Thank you for all the info!

I still have more questions though, like, is there a way to know what were the original apps that came with it so I don't have to flash the whole rom and just get the apk's needed?

I'm unaware of a list.

Thank you for all the info!

I still have more questions though, like, is there a way to know what were the original apps that came with it so I don't have to flash the whole rom and just get the apk's needed?

I'm unaware of a list.

Just unzip the the stock rom zip and compare it to what you have. Then push the ones you don't have to system/apps.

Back
Top Bottom