• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voyager 1 Has Left the Solar System

I don't think anyone will know for sure until we get a message saying, "Leave us alone!"

It would be funny if it ran into a black wall covered in little white lights ;)

I read about this yesterday in the LA Times. They're debating the date Voyager actually left the solar system; there's talk that it actually left more than a year ago:

The researchers say Voyager crossed the envelope of the heliosphere on July 27, 2012. That's the day Voyager recorded a permanent drop in heliosphere-produced particles and an increase in galactic cosmic rays from outside the solar system.

However, there's also talk that it left a month later:

This isn't the first time scientists have argued that Voyager 1 has left the solar system. In March, a Voyager scientist broke ranks and published a paper in the American Geophysical Union that suggested the probe had exited the heliosphere on Aug. 25, 2012, when it began to register drastic changes in radiation levels.

Study refuels debate over whether Voyager 1 has left solar system - latimes.com

So who knows?!

V'Ger is that which seeks the Creator

I was waiting for someone to make the star trek reference :)

Edit:
I seen this thread on the AF app, even funnier on the computer with the video link :p:D

You know, with all this talk about exploring beyond the Solar System, I'm starting to get jealous of future generations.

In time, they would be capable to truly see what's "out there" firsthand, and we'll be long gone. *sighs*

You know, with all this talk about exploring beyond the Solar System, I'm starting to get jealous of future generations.

In time, they would be capable to truly see what's "out there" firsthand, and we'll be long gone. *sighs*

maybe they're create a time machine and comeback to show us how cool it is, that is after the dig up the internet and extract these posts :)

Congratulations to Voyager I, the most distant human-made object in the cosmos! Launched this day in 1977 to explore the outer planets, its trajectory was then adjusted to head through the edge of our solar system and into deep interstellar space.

To place its distance from us in context, it would take a radio signal (traveling at the speed of light in the vacuum of space) 8 minutes to reach us from the Sun. The distance from the Sun to Earth, roughly 93 million miles, is one Astronomical Unit (AU). Voyager I is over 161 AU away: it takes a radio signal almost 22-1/2 hours to reach the spacecraft, and that much again in return.

As the plutonium generators aboard Voyagers I and II continue to degrade, additional instruments will have to be turned off until none are left: and the radios will send one last farewell. A Golden Record is affixed to each craft to greet any intelligent life that may someday find the craft.

Voyager I is expected to travel close to a nearby star - at the enormous scale of the universe, however, that won't happen for another 40,000 years. Thanks for your continued amazing service, Voyager I, and keep on keepin' on!

voyager_disco_poster-small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom