• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Nope. It MIGHT be water resistant, but a waterproof phone is guaranteed to not have a microSD slot. I need that a lot more than I need a waterproof phone... I have YET to drop my phone into water.

*Knocks on wood*

Nope. :)

The Sony Xperia Z line all have Micro SD slots and are rated IP67 (at least) for water proofing.

Whilst I don't need a waterproof phone, it is kinda cool to be able to run it under the tap when the screen is manky. :p

And it's made for some pretty good pictures from inside my fishtank too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many people accidentally drop their phones in water. In the tub, in the lake, in a river, in a puddle, it the toilet, etc. So even being reasonable waterproof would be very nice. I have seen many a persons phone get dunked/ruined accidentally. I have never done it myself (knock on wood), but I am in many situations with work and back country hiking, etc where waterproof will be needed sometime.

The S5 being IP7 is very nice, and while I love my N3, I would actually consider a G6 Active if it is waterproof. I am so used to my 5.7" display I don't think I can move down to smaller, but it is tempting for a waterproof phone. That being said, G6 won't have SD, removable battery, etc, so that makes it a no-go for me anyway. Still looking to get a Dev N4 (once/if they are back in stock). Not waterproof, but has SD and removable battery.

Reactions: Mdraej99
Upvote 0
Early, did those devices have a non-removable battery behind a fixed glass back? Seems to me that if the Note 5 (heavily rumored to have a fixed glass back) is going to sport a microSD card, the card can only be inserted through an external edge slot. I will be shocked, stunned and amazed if they can pull off an exterior SD slot and still be IP67 or better.

Upvote 0
Early, did those devices have a non-removable battery behind a fixed glass back? Seems to me that if the Note 5 (heavily rumored to have a fixed glass back) is going to sport a microSD card, the card can only be inserted through an external edge slot. I will be shocked, stunned and amazed if they can pull off an exterior SD slot and still be IP67 or better.
The two Sammys were just like their non-rugged counterparts so the sd card was next to the removable battery under the back cover. The Commando was the same way. None featured designer glass for the back panel.

Lacking a side ported sd card slot is cost efficient - don't build for more penetrations than necessary.

Not sure why you'd be amazed at an IP67 compliant sd card side port.

If you can seal an entire back, you can seal a smaller edge port. Not unpossible.

Unless you're saying that you'd be amazed if Samsung decided to do that with the shift towards designer phones, and I'd agree in that case.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones