• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WCDMA reception problems - please help

Assaf Mor

Lurker
Hi all,
I bought the Xperia Neo a week ago, and I've been having problems making out going call from it when I'm at home or in a few places around town. It seems that it has full reception and I can get incoming calls and use the internet with 3g - The only problem is with outgoing calls.

I played with the settings and found out that if I put it on GSM only then it works fine, and when I put it in WCDMA only it doesn't work at all in those places.

I replaces the phone to a new one, but the problem remains...

My previous phone was the Xperia x8, and it worked fine on all modes.

Is it a provider problem (T-mobile), a problem with this specific model's antenna? A bug in the software (GB 2.3.3)?
Is there a really big differences between GSM and WCDMA that it's worth getting a different phone over? (Because I really like the Neo)

I'd appreciate a quick replay because I can replace the phone and get another model but I only have a few days to do that...

Hi.
I also recently purchased the Xperia Neo and have been experiencing the same probems with WCDMA/GSM on Vodafone UK.
I had a morning when I was not able to make any calls despite trying to switch off the network by selecting another then back to Vodafone but this did not solve it. The only solution was to switch to GSM only but then I lost also 3G Internet.
Iain

I to have an Xperia Neo & have been experiencing the same problem's as well, I am on O2 & had noticed the reception dropping out & have had it cut off in the middle of a couple of calls, I have received txt's late & it has really caused a problem today as I missed an important call.
I don't know if it is the same for anyone else but my phone goes from full reception to no reception then back again & that's when its sat still at home. Thanks to reading this thread I have set my phone to GSM only & now have full & steady signal (at home anyway) & I would have gone to the O2 shop tomorrow & kicked off about it.
I have read that WCDMA is the newer 3G network & GSM is the older 2G network, the newer WCDMA network doesn't have full coverage everywhere yet & even where it does there are still dead spots.

Back
Top Bottom