• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weather widget theme mods (black and transparent)

whoshotjr2006

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2012
Ohio
Following a request to look into this in the general LG Volt forums, I did some digging and figured out how they did it over on the G2. This will set your LG Weather widget background to either black or transparent based upon which apk you choose. If anyone wants to know how I did this, just lemme know and Ill post a mini guide in a comment below.

I take no responsibility for you messing your phone up (follow the directions and you will be fine)

NEED:
Root
Root browser app of some sort
USB cable

Transfer either Black-LGWeatherTheme.apk or Transparent-LGWeatherTheme.apk to your internal sdcard, i used adb but you can use mtp/regular plug in phone copy to sdcard method if you want.

adb push Transparent-LGWeatherTheme.apk /sdcard/

Backup your old LGWeatherTheme.apk from /system/app, or dont lol. I didnt, but you can grab a stock copy from the zv4 rom zip if you need it.

Once its on your sdcard, open up a root browser and rename the file to LGWeatherTheme.apk. Then take that apk and copy it to /system/app, set permissions to rw-r-r, and reboot.

Once you reboot, your background for your weather widget will be either black or transparent based upon which apk you chose.

Happy flashing!

Black version
Black-LGWeatherTheme

Transparent version
Transparent-LGWeatherTheme

Thanks for this I will test it out once i feel like rolling back from the update so i can root.

no problem, my pleasure.

one thing though, did you happen to notice if the 2x4 and 1x4 icons on the g2 had transparent backgrounds? the reason i ask is the apks i posted dont, but if you want me to look into it i can. its really easy to do, just takes a little bit of time.

Upvote 0
Following a request to look into this in the general LG Volt forums, I did some digging and figured out how they did it over on the G2. This will set your LG Weather widget background to either black or transparent based upon which apk you choose. If anyone wants to know how I did this, just lemme know and Ill post a mini guide in a comment below.

I take no responsibility for you messing your phone up (follow the directions and you will be fine)

NEED:
Root
Root browser app of some sort
USB cable

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c6a7gsjdg7is2ay/Transparent-LGWeatherTheme.apk

Yo Who,

Was looking for info on this widget and glad I found it. Have a Samsung s5 w/the "weather 4x2" widget and really like the images they use for the rain. Figured I could save/download the image as a jpeg but can't find it on the phone. The directory for the widget it is:

com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accuweather

Searched for it on the phone but no go. And too afraid to do the "root" thingy, checked into it once before and well, not for me. :eek: ;) :p
Taking a photo of it w/another camera is kinda useless because it has text on it: date, time, weather, town etc.. And don't want to waste time in Photoshop "fixing" it [though have used PS since the early 90's just want the original].
Can you help me here? How can I get the image w/o "rooting"?

Appreciate any help you can offer, just please no rooting :eek: :afraid:

Ellen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones