• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What are Switchers?

Hello, new to the zmax. I was wondering what switchers are and how do I use them. Also I plan on flasing a lollipop rom. Which rom is the most stable. Thanks in advance. I'm really curious on the switchers.

Master chief explains it
Our Zmax has a locked boot loader so that means no system write only read but by flashing a switcher it puts the recovery.IMG on the boot partition an the boot.IMG on the recovery partition therefore allowing us to write to system cause recovery partition isn't locked like the boot partition is

Master chief explains it
Our Zmax has a locked boot loader so that means no system write only read but by flashing a switcher it puts the recovery.IMG on the boot partition an the boot.IMG on the recovery partition therefore allowing us to write to system cause recovery partition isn't locked like the boot partition is
But my main question is do I need to flash the switcher and if I don't what am I going to be limited from doing?

What that means is that when you turn the phone on, the bootloader blocks the system partition from being writable. This will prevent you from being able to delete unwanted system apps, install audio mods like viper4android, or install a different boot animation(among other things). The trick to bypassing this annoying security measure is to put the boot.img (your kernel) on the recovery partition and "reboot recovery" instead of restarting the phone normally. This boots the phone into android while tricking the bootloader into thinking that your phone is in recovery mode. Because the bootloader thinks that the device is in recovery mode, it wont lock down the system partition and you will be able to add, remove, or change system files as you see fit. Switchers are for power users who are not satisfied with just flashing a new ROM and feel the compulsive need to modify system files. They are not for everyone and if you dont use them properly you can brick your phone. I have seen it happen many times when someone got in a hurry to start flashing a bunch of stuff and didnt know exactly what they were doing.

My point here is that...
You dont need a switcher to flash a custom ROM and if you dont know exactly what you are doing you can permanently ruin your phone by using switchers improperly.

@Masterchief87
How do i get rid of the switcher i have on right now? i have the restore of it. so how can i get rid of it, because im going to install a new rom, but i dont want to mess shit up

Back
Top Bottom