• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What can't a tablet do?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
If you're not a hardcore gamer, why would you need a super-fast processor in a tablet? In other words, if I were to use a tablet for basic entertainment, wouldn't any Tegra 2 based, 1 gb RAM, 10.1" display device be sufficient?

The main uses would be:

- Web-surfing
- Basic game play (Goo, Fieldrunners, MotoXMayhem, etc)
- Reading books/magazines
- Minor music playback
- Basic games for the kids (Drawpad, Where's my water, Fruit Ninja, etc)
- Picture viewer
- Netflix

It doesn't seem like this type of use would require that much processing power. So I ask, would any 10", Tegra2, Honeycomb device be sufficient?

Yeah, for what you want, that spec will be fine.

I'm asking myself the same question at the moment too. I'm looking at the Transformer Prime but to save a bit of cash, I'll probably go with the EEE Pad Transformer as it will do all I need it too. It's just the big geek inside me that's screaming out to get the Prime.

I have the Transformer, it's great. Like you two I'm not a heavy duty gamer (does Solitaire count?? :) ). I use mine for all of the things that were mentioned, and I couldn't ask for it to do better. I suppose the Prime might do some things a bit faster, but I don't really find myself waiting on the TF too much, so I guess it's a moot point.

Upvote 0
After a few different models over the last couple of months (Thrive, Transformer and A500 + a Playbook I've decided a tablet is not for me. I have a laptop running Mint 12 and although larger at 15.6" I can multitask 10x faster. For on the go I have my S2X which is more stable (not a single FC yet) and is faster at loading/running apps than any tablet I've tried. Using the exact same apps, the only difference is the 4.5" vs 10.1" size.

Upvote 0
I have been using the Acer A500 for some time now. At the time of purchase, my options were the iPad, the Xoom and the Transformer. I opted for the Acer because of the ports without being saddled by a dock etc.

I use the tablet almost everyday. After jumping around a bit, I have found myself settling around doing the following with my tab.

Reading (not as much as I would like; very helpful while flying long distances though)
Web-centric work (email, surfing etc. - I do this quite a bit; wifi + 3G, the latter tethered to my phone)
Movies (I have started watching my every day's late night movie on the tab and in bed without disturbing my significant other!)
Games (only Angry Birds, Chess, and some other minor stuff that came with the Acer - but all played rather infrequently I'm afraid)

For the above purposes, I find the Acer adequate. And, to be frank, I can't think of anything else to do with the tablet at the moment. Well, I guess, I could install a full version of an Office suite and try working on documents, but I find the soft keyboard a bit problematic to use. So, I am not sure how helpful that would be.

I am glad I did not spend any more money on the tab than what I did when I first bought it, which was just after the A500 was released in the market where I currently reside. I do have a ThinkPad X201 (paired with an external screen when at home) which I use extensively for my work.

I do think however that if I can get a good tablet that runs Win 8 (or whatever is the name of the next-gen Win), can run a decent (if necessary a stripped down version) Office suite (preferably one that integrates well with MS Office) and supports handwriting with a stylus-like pen, I'd probably be more productive with the tablet. I also think it is only a matter of time before such a device is out - and I mean within the next 18 months or so.

Sorry for the long post!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones