• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What does "unzip and put on sdcard" mean?

seitys

Lurker
Does it mean put those files on an actual physical sd card? But then I don't see any sd card slot.

If I plug in the phone to my computer, I don't have any way to explore the phone's directories.

I've spent like the past 8 hours trying to figure out how to put TWRP or clockwerk mod on this phone but the instructions are not that noob friendly.

So far I've managed to get adb and fastboot to work. I have no idea if my phone's bootloader is unlocked or not. I did previously root the phone but I just did a factory reset.

Also, I tried to adb push files but I keep getting permission denied.

When I tried to follow the advice on a site (addictivetips article on how install custom recovery) but it doesn't work.

Per that article, I tried fastboot flash recovery filename.img but that didn't install anything. Then I tried the flash_image method with adb push, adb shell, su,...etc. but that didn't work because I kept getting permission denied whenever I tried to adb push.

Please help!

Edit: I read the manual and there is an sd card slot in the back. I wish I knew that 8 hours earlier. It looks like once I have the sd card, installing a custom rom won't be so difficult after all.

Does it mean put those files on an actual physical sd card? But then I don't see any sd card slot.

If I plug in the phone to my computer, I don't have any way to explore the phone's directories.

I've spent like the past 8 hours trying to figure out how to put TWRP or clockwerk mod on this phone but the instructions are not that noob friendly.

So far I've managed to get adb and fastboot to work. I have no idea if my phone's bootloader is unlocked or not. I did previously root the phone but I just did a factory reset.

Also, I tried to adb push files but I keep getting permission denied.

When I tried to follow the advice on a site (addictivetips article on how install custom recovery) but it doesn't work.

Per that article, I tried fastboot flash recovery filename.img but that didn't install anything. Then I tried the flash_image method with adb push, adb shell, su,...etc. but that didn't work because I kept getting permission denied whenever I tried to adb push.

Please help!

Hi seitys and welcome to AF!
The ZTE Avid should have an external SD card slot under the battery cover and near the edge of the phone.
Yes unzip file and put it on SD card means to, unzip the downloaded file (use a program like 7zip) and then move the extracted files to either your Avids internal memory (SD card) or onto an external micro-sd card (external SD card) or you can bypass using a PC commpletly and just download the zip file directly onto you Avid and use an app like "Root Browser" to unzip the files onto your phone. Download and then open the root browser app and go to /SDcard/downloads/ scroll to the zip file you downloaded and long press on the zip file, a window will open and you can select to extract/unzip the file to the phone.

When you connect your Avid to your PC you need the USB connection type to be set to MTP mode (media transfer protocol) to view the devices storage. You can look in the device system setting for the connection modes. Go to /Settings and then look under storage, wireless & networks or connections, for USB connection types... There should be MTP, PTP modes. Select both modes and allow the PC to install the drivers.

For ADB did you enable USB debugging? Go to /Settings/developers options/ enable USB debugging. Connect to your PC and allow the drivers to install for your PC.

Then open command prompt and type:

adb devices
adb shell
su

You could also try using "Terminal Emulator" app to flash the recovery.img instead of adb.

For the bootloader... Did you unlock it at some point? If yes, then performing a factory reset won't re-lock the bootloader and it will still be unlocked.

Have you tried this method for installing recovery - http://androidforums.com/avid-4g-all-things-root/844871-philz-touch-advanced-cwm6-0-4-8-based-recovery.html

Give these a try and let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the response. I got adb and fastboot working (although fastboot was not easy because windows 8 had an extra step).

I'll order an external sd card and I will let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom